450 Bushmaster or 300 WBY for Black Bear?

Which is better Ferrari or Lamborghini? No wrong decision with either of your guns.

The 450 will have tons of thump at that distance... just be careful of the bullet you choose. FTX bullets have been a bit unpredictable.

Same can be said about the 300. Bullet selection will be fairly important due to the likelihood of extreme fragmentation (w/copper+lead bullets).

In either case, I'd opt for a mono bullet.... this is where they shine.

The photo is my buddies black bear. He shot it with a 45 Raptor w/250 gr bonded Shockwave. This was the entrance side. Animal died very quickly. The 450 BM is very similar to the 45 Raptor.

Attachments

• Attach6162_20190912_095033.jpg
    Attach6162_20190912_095033.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 314
I'd probably run the bushmaster. We're ot mine, I'd be running a heavy for caliber WFN cast lead. 350gr would be up around 1800-1900fps in a bolt gun. I'd pick a bullet like this https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/452-454/454-350-rf-ad3/

If you need to shoot jacketed, I'd go with something like the 300gr XTP, 300 or 325gr A-Frame, or 300gr Deep Curl. The aframe and deep curl are bonded construction.

The .450 Bushmaster is an accurate hard hitter, but it's range is limited. That fat pistol bullet has a poor coefficient. At your specified range though, the .450 would get the job done. I've never hunted with mine, but it rings steel like a boss.

Which is better Ferrari or Lamborghini? No wrong decision with either of your guns.

The 450 will have tons of thump at that distance... just be careful of the bullet you choose. FTX bullets have been a bit unpredictable.

Same can be said about the 300. Bullet selection will be fairly important due to the likelihood of extreme fragmentation (w/copper+lead bullets).

In either case, I'd opt for a mono bullet.... this is where they shine.

The photo is my buddies black bear. He shot it with a 45 Raptor w/250 gr bonded Shockwave. This was the entrance side. Animal died very quickly. The 450 BM is very similar to the 45 Raptor.
Holy crap! Note to self, do not shoot a deer with my .450 Bushmaster!

Last edited:
Either one. Anything from a .243 on up for blackies. 270 up for Grizz. Once you get the hide off a bear, body wise they are not that large. Shot placement will be far more important then caliber.

Here is a Grizzly I got yesterday. Used my .375 just because I like the rifle but would of been perfectly happy packing my .280.

Attachments

• 038ACE22-CEAB-4065-BA9E-33B059BE0FB2.jpeg
    038ACE22-CEAB-4065-BA9E-33B059BE0FB2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 173
I've killed quite a few black bears over the years. For stand hunting there is nothing better then the 45-70 (or 450 BM), at least not in my opinion. My favorite bear bullet is the Speer 400gr JSP. It will expand readily but does not frag in a bear. I have never caught one in a black bear.

Bears are EASY to kill but all that fat and fur can clog smaller holes and leave very little blood if they aren't knocked down. Virtually any 45cal bullet will work, jacketed, hardcast, or even one of the new Hammer 45-70 bullets. I used one on a bull moose and was very pleased.

Good luck

What is recommended for a sitting black bear stand hunt? I'm guessing it will only be about a 50 yard shot at most. Thanks
What is recommended for a sitting black bear stand hunt? I'm guessing it will only be about a 50 yard shot at most. Thanks
Either gun...sounds like it's your first bear hunt...two other needed things...patience and don't shoot the first bear you see...unless you know the difference between very good, good and average...a two year old can look good from a distance..even a short distance to a new bear hunter

Okay skipglo, I once read in one of those magazines about hunting that on a black bear you should look for a bear with what appears to be short legs and small ears. After you pick yourself up off the floor laughing, let me explain the reason the writer said these things. Made sense to me at the time, but you are the one with bear experience.

He said that the appearance of short legs means the bear is big and heavy due to age and fat content. The same goes for the short ears. He stated that a black bear's ears do not grow that much as the bear ages, so a bear with what looks like small ears most likely is a larger bear than one with what like big ears. Short, fat legs and small-looking ears are what he said you should consider looking for when you are trying to size up a black bear. I know you have seen a bunch of bears, is there any truth to that story? Treeslugs everywhere want to know.

Okay skipglo, I once read in one of those magazines about hunting that on a black bear you should look for a bear with what appears to be short legs and small ears. After you pick yourself up off the floor laughing, let me explain the reason the writer said these things. Made sense to me at the time, but you are the one with bear experience.

He said that the appearance of short legs means the bear is big and heavy due to age and fat content. The same goes for the short ears. He stated that a black bear's ears do not grow that much as the bear ages, so a bear with what looks like small ears most likely is a larger bear than one with what like big ears. Short, fat legs and small-looking ears are what he said you should consider looking for when you are trying to size up a black bear. I know you have seen a bunch of bears, is there any truth to that story? Treeslugs everywhere want to know.
Only thing you are missing is ears wide apart and eyes close together.Those two things indicate a large skull bigger bear as well...as for short legs...not one of my standards but I get what you were reading....The Hunters Guide to Vertically Impaired Bears!

Only thing you are missing is ears wide apart and eyes close together.Those two things indicate a large skull bigger bear as well...as for short legs...not one of my standards but I get what you were reading....The Hunters Guide to Vertically Impaired Bears!
Well, I would imagine that wide ears and close eyes will help some of the bear hunters on LRH when they are judging their next black bear. It makes perfect sense to me. Aren't you the well-informed man of the Great North? Have a rum and send me the bill!!!

Recent Posts