450 Bushmaster Hack!!!

albritt

How many of you love the accuracy Hornady FTX delivers out of your Thumpers but have noticed more times than not your deer don't drop and you end up tracking em for 50-60 yards + (or more)?
When I initially found that Horn FTX ammo produced clover leaf groups at 100 yards I went out and bought a case of Horn 250 gr FTX ammo. But then as I started shooting my venison I found if ya put one through the ribs more often than not they run, sometimes 60-70 yards. When recovered it looked like I had stabbed them to death with a piece of number seven rebar, same size hole in both sides and marginal lung damage. I realize that shoulder shots will anchor em but I don't want to ruin meat.
Having a case of Horn 250gr ammo I was to say the least not happy.
Out of desperation I tried somethin.
So here is the hack that turns Horn FTX ammo onto DRT AMMO!!!!
I took a pair of needle nose pliers and removed the flex tip, went to the range and low and behold with tip removed it printed the same clover leaf groups.
Then went to my stand a few days later and shot a 193lb 8 through the ribs mid body on the crease........DISH RAGGED HIM!!!
Two big does since.....same results.
Its a bitch getting the tip out without damaging jacket but well worth it. Exit holes now are the size of a racquet ball and lungs obliterated.
If you have had the same problem try it you will be pleasantly surprised.

I know what you were seeing with the Hornady FTX. I starting shooting a Mossberg Patriot in 350 Legend. I found 2 factory loads that shot well. Winchester XP 150gr and Hornady FTX 165gr. I saw some poor reviews of the XP and steered towards the FTX. I shot a 120 doe during our deer gun season. No blood where she was standing when I shot and no blood trail. Walked in the direction she went after the shot and found her about 50 yards piled up. Double lung shot, blood everywhere where she went down, and the entrance and exit holes the same size.

Winchester has come out with a 160 gr hollow point thought I would try. But I'll try pulling the flex tip and see if my groups are the same.

Jason

I know what you were seeing with the Hornady FTX. I starting shooting a Mossberg Patriot in 350 Legend. I found 2 factory loads that shot well. Winchester XP 150gr and Hornady FTX 165gr. I saw some poor reviews of the XP and steered towards the FTX. I shot a 120 doe during our deer gun season. No blood where she was standing when I shot and no blood trail. Walked in the direction she went after the shot and found her about 50 yards piled up. Double lung shot, blood everywhere where she went down, and the entrance and exit holes the same size.

Winchester has come out with a 160 gr hollow point thought I would try. But I'll try pulling the flex tip and see if my groups are the same.

Jason
They will be I am confident, my impact changed by one inch though. New clover leaf group was 1" low and 1" right after removing the tip. You need an pair of needle nose that have "sharp" teeth. I used a gerber multi tool, they have aggressive "teeth" at the tip. GRIP TIP HARD AND PULL WHILE SPINNING THE CARTRIDGE.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts