45 deg offset mount

Boozer

Here's the thing. I have a nice AR with a basic leupold 3x9 on a typical mount that works great on anything from 50-300 yards, but it seems like half the time these stinkin' coyotes find a way to sneak up and pop out 15-20 yards away, leaving me scrambling to find them in the scope, and no excuses when my buddies give me a hard time later (rightfully so).

I was thinking of using a basic 1x red dot on a 45 deg angle mount for the closeup shots. however, If mounted to the receiver, i'm afraid it would start to get pretty cluttered.

OR! I'm running a ALG handguard Ergonomic Modular Rail (EMR) V1 M-LOK that has m-lok mounting holes at the 90 deg marks, and 45deg mark, so I could potentially mount it directly to the handguard with a shot pieceof pic rail. That would leave me with a pretty healthy eye relief, is that a problem with red-dots?

Also, the handguard mounting seems very robust and tight, but I guess there is the possibility of POI shifts if the handguard moves? Anyone have any experience with this? I would guess that if guys are using handguards for flip up front sights, that they are solid enough.

Thanks

Handrail is a bad idea because somehow they shift. The 45 mount on the oppisite side works great. Simply roll the gun slightly to the side and your good to go. I use that setup with a fastfire 3 on my main hunting 300 blk. So I can use the red dot when the pigs and deer are close and running and scope for longer shots. You won't be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.