45 caliber muzzloader

ericmeverson

Anybody shoot one? Just a standard inline 45 caliber using just blackpowder not smokless. What's the longest shot kill shot are they effective to. Lets see some groups made with it.

My Wincester X150 is a .45 cal. I use 3 50 gr Pyr Pellets and PowerBelts although I will likely switch the Powerbelts to something else. From what I was told when I bought the gun the .45 gives really good performance out to 200 yards for deer sized game. I have not shot the gun at 200 yards but it is a tack driver at 100. Most of my shots are under 100 yards so I never felt the need to shoot it farther than that plus MN does not allow scopes during the black powder season so anything beyond 100 yards is tough with my eyes anyway. I dont have any pics of the groups as I actually have never taken any nor have I kept any targets. I would not hesitate and buying another .45 for anything deer sized or smaller.

I wanna get a cva accura v2 in a 45 caliber. My load and will be 3 pyrodex pellets and a 225 grain aero tip power belt or 190 grain power belt aero tip. Should give me flat trajectory out past 200 and plenty killing power.

Oh it will be flat and accurate! CVA Made the X150 for Winchester. Seems a lot better than some of the T/C's I used in the past.

Don't use them and that cures that problem completely.

Why would anyone want to shoot such a sub-par, end cap hang'n bullet, especially at 200yds?

If a muzzleloader bullet is so touchy that you have to sacrifice a desired charge preference, or velocity so that it "might" function properly, they can keep it. There are WAY better bullets to shoot.

Ask some of shooters who shoot a .45 and who are shooting less than 3/4" groups at 200yds, if its their preference. They would never consider shooting it, let alone hunt with it for long range. Its like rolling the dice....

I am talking about the lighter powerbelts. They are the problem makers, along with folks that simply can not shoot and hit what they aim at.

the 275gr Aerotip and 300gr Platinum in 45 are real solid performers. I especially like the 275.

I shot the 225 grain power belts before from my old cva 45 caliber optima pro with 150 grains of triple 7 and my groups were an inch at 100 yrds. I hit a deer with the hollow point version of the 225 grain pb and when I opened her up her lungs were liquid and it desroyed her heart. It was a 90 yard shot. The entrance was about the size of a dime and the exit was the size of a 50 cent piece she ran about 30 yrds and died. I don't see how people are having so many problems with loosing deer with power belts.

Simple, some folks just can not place their shot into the kill zone gun)

I shoot round balls 97% of the time. The deer I shot this year dropped on the spot with a chest shot, found the ball in her rear ham.

Hopefully a CO elk or New Mexico muley with her this fall.

I shot the 225 grain power belts before from my old cva 45 caliber optima pro with 150 grains of triple 7 and my groups were an inch at 100 yrds. I hit a deer with the hollow point version of the 225 grain pb and when I opened her up her lungs were liquid and it desroyed her heart. It was a 90 yard shot. The entrance was about the size of a dime and the exit was the size of a 50 cent piece she ran about 30 yrds and died. I don't see how people are having so many problems with loosing deer with power belts.

Its never a matter of "if" its "when".

Simple, some folks just can not place their shot into the kill zone gun)

I shoot round balls 97% of the time. The deer I shot this year dropped on the spot with a chest shot, found the ball in her rear ham.

Hopefully a CO elk or New Mexico muley with her this fall.

Its always the same excuse from dedicated PB shooters, 'everyone else needs to learn to shoot and with proper shot placement'. That about the most lame excuse I've ever heard anyone ever try to make for a bullets overall poor performance. The internet shooting forums are absolutely FULL of negative reports with the bullets. Anyone who knows how to do an internet search, will find all the negative reading material they want.

ericeverson........ Consider this... you are looking to purchase a new BBQ grill and are comparing each of the models. You look over the current owner's reviews of the different models and one has 200 negative reports, to 4 good reports. Is that the BBQ grill you're going to purchase or, will you look over the other grills made and choose a grill where there's 200 positive reviews and only 4 negative reviews? In other things relating to your personal life, how willing are you to take a 50/50 chance?

What and how a bullet reacts on game at 100yds, may be much different than how it reacts on game at 200yds and most definitely beyond 200yds. They lose a lot more velocity and energy the further in distance. This fact in itself, reflects the need for a quality bullet which will consistently and reliably perform at all ranges.

Round balls........ well yup, there's been a lot of game harvested with round balls. Could it be that they've been around for centuries too? Who'd even speculate how much game went unrecovered over that time frame?

Shoot what you feel is comfortable for you, but know there's a big difference in bullet quality, especially beyond 100yds.

300gr Aerolite shows to be a great bullet with 100gr Blackhorn209 and a close 30 yard lung shot.

I always tell folks, If you don't like something, move on to something else. Simple as that.

Entrance
IMG_3642.jpg

Exit hole had 3 smaller holes from the ribs exploding and being pushed out the hide. As you can see, the lung was pulled out as the bullet went through.
IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

Now the buck I shot in 2011? with the 250 aerolite did fragment, but I did in fact take an 80 yard shot directly through the shoulder. Fast blood trail and lung matter in the blood trail as well. Failure? Not even close. Won't bother posting pics of that one as theres no point in doing so.

Dang that bullet did some serious damage. I went to Wal Mart and seen they have a Bushnell dusk till dawn 4x16x40 scope that I want to get for my muzzloader. I will have one sweet long range set up

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.