45 ACP on Brown Bear.????

watched recent videos on charging bear..... he used a 10mm....
wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection...???
I live in Montana. During bow season I carry bear spray and a .460 Smith and Wesson. You can shoot .45 Long Colt and .454 Casull to keep practice affordable. 10 mm Glock 21 is also a popular carry option in the back country. I would not put a .45 ACP on the preferred list. Lots of info from Alaska guides supports something more than a 45

I'll second Underwood!!! I used to carry a Taurus ultra light in .44 mag.....but the cylinder release is too complicated for a quick reload.

Reload speed isn't going to come into play on a bear. That ultralight with full house loads isnt going to let you get through more than half the cylinder accurately before its on you.

watched recent videos on charging bear..... he used a 10mm....
wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection...???
I think a 1911, 45 acp loaded with 7.2 grains of Unique and a .230 grain F Nose bullet would do, only if you are very adept at shooting and handling it.

First of all, what on the heck is a guide doing carrying a 9mm pea shooter in the woods hunting Brown Bear? He must be a complete fool in my opinion. The odds of him killing one are extremely rare, and IF he doesn't which has a very HIGH probability means he just gonna **** him off and charge him. Then what is he gonna do, launch some MORE 124gr 9mm bullets at him an hope he stops and goes away?!! Lets apply ration, reason, and a sliver of logic.
The guide is responsible for his party and himself. If that guide thinks that 9mm is adequately armed for use in protection against bears, fishing/hunting clients may want to rethink hiring him.

The 45 ACP might be a very "lite" choice for protection from bears. Sure, under the right conditions and maybe a lot of luck, it could stop a charging bear. I am a taxidermist and have handled lots of dead bears, including grizzlies, and even a black bear that was killed by a 22 (lucky shot right through a dime-size thin area on the side of the skull). But if you want peace of mind, you shouldn't depend on any caliber that requires more luck than skill and smarts. I currently live and hike in bear country and I carry a .41 magnum Taurus Tracker which is much more powerful than either the 45 ACP or 10 mm...and pepper spray.

I believe it comes down to whatever you are carrying. If you can carry a DE in 50AE, works for you. If carrying a lightweight 38 special is too much for you, hope you are faster than your partners. My belief is whatever you shoot, you need to hit something that will incapacitate the bear. 357, 158 hard cast bullets in the brain will stop almost anything, brown bear included. 500 S&W in chest is not going to stop that bear from chewing on you before it dies.

Recent Posts