45-70 reloading

Nice groups Dean2......what firearm? memtb
The top one is a 22 inch jm Marlin made in the late 80s that I bought new, before it was magnaported. After the magnaport it no longer showed the vertical. Put them all pretty much in the same hole. The second one is a 2016 18" Marlin guide gun. All the guys that complain about rem made marlin probably haven't shot a recent one. The cast loads shoot about as good as long as you don't drive them over 1600 fps.

I'm going to start reloading for my 45-70. Just need a good deer load . What are your guys favorite loads. Bullets, powder how much and what kind , primers ? Also I shoot a single shot not a lever action. Thanks .

I'm using 50 gr of 4198, Barnes 300gr TSX FBHP bullet, with a Federal 210 primer @ around 2200fps. This is a pretty stout load, extremely accurate and great performance. I shot a black bear with this load this past season, the results were very devastating.

I had a browning 1886 lever gun with 26" barrel. It's one I never should have sold but that's another story... my using load was 325 grain Hornady FTX going right at 2200 FPS. I believe I was using H322 but would have to check my old notes. I had a Providence sliding peep sight that made for sure shooting out to 300 yds. That rifle with that load was a solid 1.3 moa rifle off the bench rest. I shot one average bear with it broadside at 30 yds and he dropped in his tracks. For a different perspective I used to hunt with a .44 magnum hand gun. I shot a record book black bear that CO CPW estimated around 600 lbs, at 10 yds. He was facing me directly and both bullets hit him in the right side of the chest and penetrated diagonally full length coming to rest in the hide at the back of the left hind quarter. That was about 6' of penetration. Load was a 325 grain cast doing right around 1300 FPS. That would be a light load for the 45-70.

I see a lot of recommendations for regular rifle primers. I suggest you give mag primers a try. Especially in barrels under 20 inch u will have far less unburned powder and it burns cleaner. In all loads the mag primers were usually noticeably more accurate because of the more even and complete burn. I know this isn't conventional wisdom but give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I haven't hunted with my 45-70's, but I've shot 1000's of cast bullets in long range sillouette matches mostly with the 530gr Postell bullet. We shoot out to 880 yards. I have to use the 385gr. round nose in my Uberti High Wall because it has a 1 in 20" twist. It was accurate to only 600 yards with the 530gr. bullet. The others have 1 in 18" twists. We keep our velocities between 1200 to 1300 FPS. I tried 3031, but found that it was too inconsistent at those velocities. I then tried 5744 with good results. Then I found Shooters World Buffalo Rifle which is identical to 5744 but is 2/3's the cost. I use between 25 to 28 grains of either one and ladder test to find the most consistent load. BTW, I have never shot a jacketed bullet in any of my 45-70's. They are all long barrel single shots.