.45-70 Grizz Defense

Backcountry_IDN

Ended up finding a barely used (4 rounds down) Marlin 1895SBL today for a great deal.

We drew elk in Wyoming and will be hunting some of the densest grizz territory in the state with a buddy that's a local (taking us into wilderness). I'm in Idaho so I'm around bears but not grizz as much where I hunt.

My question is, what round would you personally be using if you had a grizz charge?

My buddy says they usually run into 2-4 every year in the area. Only one hairy situation as they're pretty cautious. Yes I'll also be carrying bear spray.

Just curious on a round that has the best stopping power. Thanks!
9B7E0872-474D-4B69-9102-80B3D29BFEEE.jpeg

I've got an 1895 Guide gun. No scope, just ghost rings. I've never shot brownie in a full out charge thankfully, but have shot two (separate occasions) that just wouldn't go away. Both were hit with some buffalo bore ammo I got with the gun when I bought it. 500 grain jacketed bullets. It stops them pretty fast. they penetrate hard and take bones out along the way. I killed a mature bull moose with the same bullet. that bull thought our horses were potential dates......quartering to shot, it sat him down. Literally. Amazingly he got back up, but didn't get five steps.

I've got an 1895 Guide gun. No scope, just ghost rings. I've never shot brownie in a full out charge thankfully, but have shot two (separate occasions) that just wouldn't go away. Both were hit with some buffalo bore ammo I got with the gun when I bought it. 500 grain jacketed bullets. It stops them pretty fast. they penetrate hard and take bones out along the way. I killed a mature bull moose with the same bullet. that bull thought our horses were potential dates......quartering to shot, it sat him down. Literally. Amazingly het got back up, but didn't get five steps.
Good to hear! Gun came with 16 rounds of 350grn lead cast and 20 rounds of 405gr lead cast so I'll look for those 500s. I appreciate it

It's unlikely that my Marlin GG will see use in our elk hunting area. Our area is mixed with timber and wide open spaces….so the 45-70 is not practical for "all around" use! If it is used…..I will be using my "homegrown" powder coated, cast (tempered), 430 grain, wide metplat bullets pushed to near 1900fps.

That's the only bullet (load) that I use in my GG, whether it be deer or larger game. A similar bullet and load, should give you "end to end" penetration on all but perhaps the largest bears, while creating a pretty decent path of destruction while in route! 😉

By the way…….beautiful rifle! I'm a bit envious as I wanted SS, but settled for a large loop, blue, in laminate! memtb

WE9x073l.jpg

Last edited:
To fully understand your question…..will you be hunting only in "dense timber" or "dense grizzly" populations?

The reason I ask, if "always" in dense timber/cover…..the 45-70 is a good logical choice!

If the hunt will be in mixed country (dense and open) all in the same day of hunting…..the 45-70 may seriously limit your opportunities when in open country!

Unless your "other" elk rifle is of small caliber with relatively "fragile" bullets……one "all purpose" rifle/cartridge/bullet may be a better option! JMO memtb

Last edited:
To fully understand your question…..will you be hunting only in "dense timber" or "dense grizzly" populations?

The reason I ask, if "always" in dense timber/cover…..the 45-70 is a good logical choice!

If the hunt will be in mixed country (dense and open) all in the same day of hunting…..the 45-70 may seriously limit your opportunities when in open country!

Unless your "other" elk rifle is of small caliber with relatively "fragile" bullets……one "all purpose" rifle/cartridge/bullet may be a better option! JMO memtb
Thank you and I should've specified, we will be archery hunting on horses in dense timber. No open areas in the area.

Now if I don't tag out I'll head back in October with my 300win and 212gr and I won't be packing another gun (45-70)