45-70, 45-90, or 450 Marlin?

Ouch. My shoulder got black and blue JUST READING THAT.
I load a 405 to 2200 in my browning mod 76 falling block, with a stout load of 4064. Had to have chamber reamed to allow seating bullets out. I believe ruger number 1's and 3's are already chambered this way, hence the different loading info for these actions/rifles. Yes, they kick like a mule, esp with tbe crescent steel buttplate on the browning and ruger no 3's.

I load a 405 to 2200 in my browning mod 76 falling block, with a stout load of 4064. Had to have chamber reamed to allow seating bullets out. I believe ruger number 1's and 3's are already chambered this way, hence the different loading info for these actions/rifles. Yes, they kick like a mule, esp with tbe crescent steel buttplate on the browning and ruger no 3's.
That load would be a I just had to try it to see. Just like those YT videos of people trying to shoot the 585 Nyati. Ouch

Try some penetration tests with Gel blocks or wet newspaper, load them down to 1400, 1500, 1600, and 1700. Then compare the results to your 2200 FPS shoulder crackers. I guarantee the slower speed ones will penetrate at least as well, usually even better depending on the bullet. I have confirmed the results on game. You are beating the snot out of yourself for no good reason. If you don't believe it, have a read.

It's funny you load it so strong in combination with your screen name. I had the thought that I'd have broken teeth from clenching while shooting that load

That load would be a I just had to try it to see. Just like those YT videos of people trying to shoot the 585 Nyati. Ouch
Its a load in a speer manual under single shot rifles. Took a nice bull elk at almost 200 yds with open sites. And by the way i have a 700 ahr, a 577 trex, a 550 magnum. 470 NE double, a 458 3in/lott/458 w, 505 gibbs, 2 416 rigbys, 416 rum, (375 rum necked to 416), 2 375 cheytacs, 375 rum. 3, 375 hh's. 9, 45-70's(3 mod 86 originals, 2 browning 86's, 2 browning falling blocks, 2 siamese mausers), 2 338 lapuas. and 4 45-70 revolvers. 3 century arms 6 sixguns and a bfg 5 shot. 500 linebaugh. 500 max imum, 475 linesbaugh, 3 454 cassul's. 50 action express grizzly and more. Like big boomers. Im sick

If you were a Buffalo hunter in the late 1800's, using black powder, the 45-70 got the job done. Some people wanted a bit more range and oomph that the 45-90 delivered. But today, smokeless powder and modern rifles and modern bullets will deliver that increased range and power, possibly even more, in the 45-70. Thus, it is my theory that the 45-90 does not enjoy the same popularity as the 45-70 for this reason. Undoubtedly the 45-90 has a cool factor, but given how much more common brass is for the 45-70, that's the way I would go.

Its a load in a speer manual under single shot rifles. Took a nice bull elk at almost 200 yds with open sites. And by the way i have a 700 ahr, a 577 trex, a 550 magnum. 470 NE double, a 458 3in/lott/458 w, 505 gibbs, 2 416 rigbys, 416 rum, (375 rum necked to 416), 2 375 cheytacs, 375 rum. 3, 375 hh's. 9, 45-70's(3 mod 86 originals, 2 browning 86's, 2 browning falling blocks, 2 siamese mausers), 2 338 lapuas. and 4 45-70 revolvers. 3 century arms 6 sixguns and a bfg 5 shot. 500 linebaugh. 500 max imum, 475 linesbaugh, 3 454 cassul's. 50 action express grizzly and more. Like big boomers. Im sick
Holy spit burgers. You must work on your own teeth. Quite impressive sir. You can have my man card. It has definitely been revoked.

But I would like to shoot the Trex 1 time just to have my wife video it. Would be great comedy relief.

Holy spit burgers. You must work on your own teeth. Quite impressive sir. You can have my man card. It has definitely been revoked.

But I would like to shoot the Trex 1 time just to have my wife video it. Would be great comedy relief.
Then you should shoot the 700. Can load the 1300 gr slug to 2400. I keep it about 1850. Gun weighs about 14 lbs. I dont shoot any of thr biggest guns off a bench without the lead sled. Standing, not as bad as you think. When i shot a nice cape buffaloe nov, 2019. I doubled it, aka hit both triggers. 2 500 gr solids. Didnt hear it or feel it till i couldnt fire 2nd barrel. Only then, when my ph told me, did i realize it. Hunting excitement, recoil never bothers me.

I don't wanna hijack this excellent thread, but for what the OP is doling over, why not consider a M336 chambered in the 444 Marlin. It is a modern day stomper.....on both ends.

Awesome and impressive sir. Would like to shoot that. (ONCE) 1300GR @ 2000. YIKES. cold compress alternating with hot. And advil to follow. :)

Apologies to OP. I got carried away. Back on tooic

Try some penetration tests with Gel blocks or wet newspaper, load them down to 1400, 1500, 1600, and 1700. Then compare the results to your 2200 FPS shoulder crackers. I guarantee the slower speed ones will penetrate at least as well, usually even better depending on the bullet. I have confirmed the results on game. You are beating the snot out of yourself for no good reason. If you don't believe it, have a read.

Dean2 ,

The article by Garrett Cartridge Co. is very good information .
Thank you for sharing the link .

DMP25-06

That one was shot with a 30.06 using a 150 gr. SP bullet. We were hunting for Black Tail Deer. The bullet hit its armor and came apart. I did not realize it at the time but the bullet did not penetrate at all. Only broke a few ribs and knocked the pig out. I had just had knee surgery 2 weeks before so I could not get out of the Jeep. I asked my son to shoot it in the head with my 357. The pig started to get up as we approached. Two more shots to the head with the pistol and he finally died. That was the biggest one I ever shot but I have seen bigger.

The ranch we hunted was over run with pigs. We could shoot them almost every day we hunted if we wanted. When we were deer hunting. I wouldn't let my son shoot pigs until the end of the deer season because I got so tired of eating them. Friends would give me pig tags as a trade for pigs.

Great fun but after shooting so many it gets old. I hate cleaning them.

Awesome and impressive sir. Would like to shoot that. (ONCE) 1300GR @ 2000. YIKES. cold compress alternating with hot. And advil to follow. :)

Apologies to OP. I got carried away. Back on tooic
At 1850 not bad, i have heeded manufacturers warning and never tried 2400!