44Magnum and standard Large pistol primers

Elmer Keith always used standard primers with 2400 in the 44 mag. 2400 burns a little bit dirty no matter what primer you use but it lights easy. It is a very good full power 44 mag powder. Unique will get you within 150 fps or so of what H110 or 2400 will get you with same bullets. It is a very good powder also and lights easy with standard primers. These are just a couple powders that I have used un the 44 mag.

My bad, according to Hodgdon and Western, Rem 2 1/2, and WLP are used in all loads. Speer has a good bit using CCI 300's.

Now I have to rethink why I am using Mag primers.

My bad, according to Hodgdon and Western, Rem 2 1/2, and WLP are used in all loads. Speer has a good bit using CCI 300's.

Now I have to rethink why I am using Mag primers.

Well, they can't hurt, even with the faster, easy to ignite powders.....you merely adjust powder charge for the magnum primer! memtb

Rem 2 1/2, and WLP. Only LP primers made by each company. No standard or mag to choose from.

i use WLP in 45acp with Bullseye powder & 44 mag with H110/W296. Works great. 3" groups at 50 yards with both is possible.

Last edited:
I've always used WSP/WLP for everything.
Load for 38 Special/357 Mag, 44 Special/44 Mag, 44-40 & 45 ACP.
Never tried a different brand pistol primer since I bought 10K back in the 90's of each.
Used to shoot a lot of pistol rounds per annum, nowadays a handful at most while hunting pigs with lever rifles.
Anyway....

Cheers.

I have always used magnum primers in my .41 mag, but recently I started using standard large pistol primers in my .44 mag. 296 powder still shoots smaller groups with magnum primers in my Ruger Blackhawk. Recently means in the last four years. Come to think of it I do use standard primers in my .41 when shooting Unique powder for target and plinking loads and they work good.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.