444 Marlin

Speed Trap

Just picked up TC Encore in 444 Marlin. Its a TC Custom barrel and is 20" long. Looks wicked! Don't know much about the 444 Marlin, so looking to you for input....

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
I believe the 444 Marlin came out about 1964 and was first chambered in the Marlin 444:D. I have never owned one but had three different friends that did and they ALL shot sub MOA with good loads at 100 yds. I really have been quite amazed at the accuracy for a lever gun! I don't know how they shoot in other rifles. They are a real stopper inside two hundred yards......Rich

Crane

It is not a necked down 45-70. Different size case.
Correct. It is a different case entirely, much stronger. I also have an Encore in this cartridge but mine was a .44 Magnum reamed to .444 Marlin by David White at D & T Custom Gunworks. D&T Custom Gunworks Forum

It is quite a handful in a pistol. Mine likes the Hornaday LeverEvoloution 265 grain ammo in factory form. Check out HAWK bullets for reloading, the 300 grains x .025 HP will nearly tear a whitetail in half. Be prepared for a little meat loss, tracking is nearly nil. Farthest I've had to track one is only the distance from where is was standing to where it hit the ground after it was knocked off it's feet. Some of the other HAWK offerings might be a little less destructive.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce