44 vs 50mm?

Canvsbk

Maybe somebody can help an old guy out. Many scopes come in either 44 or 50mm objective, where I come from bigger is better but I must be missing something here. Why would a man want a 44 when he can have a 50? Is it the glare factor? Ring height?
Getting ready to drop hundreds in a new scope, don't want to make a mistake....
Thanks!

Less cost; less weight and if you hunt mainly during daylight hours the added lens diameter won get you jack squat. Morning and evenings....sure...but midday...NADA.

One factor to consider is cheek weld ie the distance to your eye above where you comfortably cheek the Stock . The Scope Objective ACTUAL Diameter , Base & Rings will dictate this . As far as light gathering , one Brand 50 may or may not be brighter than another Brands 44 ...... Number of elements , type of glass & coatings , etc . Then you can consider the various tube Diameters and Brands , etc . to determine if you are happy with Vertical adjustment Range . Then there's the Macho factor of the 50s which I think sells some Scopes ..... the bigger is better syndrome .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.