44 magnum rifle load

Like others, H-110 is my go to powder for my T/C Encore Rifle and Pistol , shooting Hornady 240 gr XTP for Ohio whitetail with impressive results

I think my best all-around load for the .44's mag I have and the .444 was the 250 grain Nosler Partition which unfortunately they no longer manufacture, too bad it was a very good bullet. My second pick is the 180gr Sierra HP with H110 second I'd have to say is the Keith 250gr SWC hard cast with 2400 Elmer got that one right.
I've been looking really hard at the Hammer, the 205gr Jack Hammer that might be my next go-to for rifle and pistol. At the bottom of the .44s loads for me is the Nosler 300gr HP or SP with H110
I run .44 mags in three guns top eject (70's) Win 94, (80's) S&W 29, and Ruger 77/44 the bottom one, the top is a Ruger 77/357 Cheers

1894 Win .44 mag & S&W 6.5 inch .44 mag (2).jpg
Ruger rifles .22 LR .357 Mag .44 Mag 003.JPG

I've got a Marlin 1895 44 magnum that I purchased new about 20 years ago and have been shooting locally remanufactured ammo. I'm about out so going to try my hand at loading the 44. I am shooting 240 grain Hornady XTP with just ok results. Approximately 2" 5 shot groups at 70 yards with a low power scope. I am looking for recommendations on bullets and powder and any helpful tips for reloading the 44 magnum rifle. Thanks in advance for any advice, Birddog
Birddog, I have a stainless 44 magnum 24 inch barrel that loves 5? grains of H335 behind a hornady 240 grain bullet fed 215GMM primer. three shots inch group at 170 yards. Velocity is about 2180 FPS. I posted on Reloaders nest and have since seen it as top load elsewhere.

I'm going to go with H110 which is a proven powder for the 44 magnum. I'm pretty sure H335 is way too slow for a 44 magnum. Not saying it won't work but I will stick with a pistol powder over a small rifle powder.

For 'bloop' loads, 8.0 grs Unique under a 240 LSWC. Rainbow trajectory, has been surprisingly accurate in everything that I've shot them from (6" M29, 7.5" BH, 14" Contender). I should have backed off on the M29 loads, only because of how many I had to shoot to qualify for my Security Guard Carry Permit. :)

RICHARD BENSON The best results can be ffound with H335 and a federal 215 gold primer
Hello, I have both 44mag and 444 in the stainless Marlin. I gave the wrong powder and pet loads I developed. I use both Hornady 240 in both rifles. I was thinking 444 not 44. I was wrong. Thanks for question it and bringing it to my attention. Rich

I'm going to go with H110 which is a proven powder for the 44 magnum. I'm pretty sure H335 is way too slow for a 44 magnum. Not saying it won't work but I will stick with a pistol powder over a small rifle powder.
Sorry Birddog, I had in mind my Marlin 444 stainless not the 44mag which i also have in stainless. The powder for the 44 mag powder I would also try is the H 300mp I think is the name. But it is slower and gives magnum velocities

Sorry Birddog, I had in mind my Marlin 444 stainless not the 44mag which i also have in stainless. The powder for the 44 mag powder I would also try is the H 300mp I think is the name. But it is slower and gives magnum velocities
No problem Haydad77. I figured you were thinking of another gun or was just doing things totally different from everyone else! lol

50 years ago when I started reloading it was for a marlin 1894 44 mag and a 444 marlin.

The 44 mag was my fathers rifle, I favored the Speer 1/2 jacket Kieth style hp in 225 hrs. Blue dot powder was introduced about that time. I found a load that claimed maximum velocity in 44 mag some were near 1700 fps. I did not have a to verify that back then.

It gave moa accuracy with the rifle. I did a 2 lb trigger job on it, also glass bedded the stocks both forearm and butt stock for stability. (I was apprenticing as a gunsmith then) the old man had see through mounts and a 3x9 red field wide angle on top. It was a scraledge in my opinion. It did make load development easy at 9x.

The 225 1/2 jackets would turn a deer inside out. Lots of bloodshot meat.

In stead of magnum pistol I used large rifle match after running a large rifle primer pocket uniformed. Do so at your own peril.

I load IMR4227 under 240grn and 300grn Hornady XTP's.

I don't mind losing a few feet per second to get away from the bone jarring recoil of H110.

I'm shooting pretty close to max and I get 1490fps with the 240 grainers out of my 20" leveraction barrel.

BTE, my 1st .44 magnum was a barley used (20rounds down the spout) TAURUS Trekker stainless revolver I bought from my friend.
Then another friend of mine passed (at 90!) and left me his Winchester 94 in .44 mag as I mentioned above.

So now my carbine/pistol collection is as follows:
.22 LR-> RUGER 96-22/RUGER Single Six revolver in .22 LR cylinder
.22 mag.-> RUGER 96/22 mag/RUGER Single Six revolver in .22 mag cylinder
5.7 x 28-> FN PS90/RUGER 57 pistol
.44mag-> Winchester 94/Taurus Trekker revolver
9 mm Luger-> RUGER PC chassis carbine/GLOCK 17, RUGER LC9s

Yeah, I know, lots of RUGERs. Not by design but just because they happened to "fit the bill".
Eric B.