44 magnum rifle load

I've got a Marlin 1895 44 magnum that I purchased new about 20 years ago and have been shooting locally remanufactured ammo. I'm about out so going to try my hand at loading the 44. I am shooting 240 grain Hornady XTP with just ok results. Approximately 2" 5 shot groups at 70 yards with a low power scope. I am looking for recommendations on bullets and powder and any helpful tips for reloading the 44 magnum rifle. Thanks in advance for any advice, Birddog
Not reloads, but I shoot Hornady 225 grain FTX Handgun Ammo in .44 magnum rifles with excellent results.

I have two loads for my Marlin 1894. It's been modified to handle a slightly longer COAL of 1.74".
23.5gr H110 pushing a 320gr WLNGC Hardcast Cast Performance Bullets to kill anything that walks in North America.
8gr HP38 pushing 200gr Softcast off brand for "bunny fart" loads to be used for plinking fun and small game.
Good luck on your adventure. I love the Marlin leverguns more than anything else.

Attachments

• EEF70439-FFEB-40E6-A8E5-57DFF3872277.jpeg
    EEF70439-FFEB-40E6-A8E5-57DFF3872277.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
According to my manual/website research H110, 296, and Lil'Gun all need large pistol "magnum" primers to get good burning.
I will be starting to reload 44 Mag for a Marlin now that I have some components, ie Hornady 240 XTP and 300 lead gas check bullets, Starline brass, Lil'Gun, H110 and LPM primers. I'll be watching this thread to see how everyone else is doing as well.
View attachment 366381View attachment 366382
I know Win 760 has always been recommended to use magnum primers. As I understand, it's more of a low temp problem. I've loaded 760 for '06 for fifty years with standard primers, and they've never failed to go BANG. I've never even had one go, What the....BANG!

I have read about using H110 but don't remember seeing anything about trailboss. H110 is available locally and was leaning towards that but will check for the trail boss. I was thinking about going lighter in bullet weight but I do like to use heavies just didn't know if they would shoot well.
i use to shoot 180 grain HPs,with a load of H110 that was a killer on whitetails out to 100 yards,never shot at anything farther than that,but bet it would work out to 200 yards

Another thing to consider is my 44 mag pistols slug at .429 and a copper bullet will fully obturate in my rifles as well but cast bullets will not.My Marlin Cowboy 44 mag slugs at .431 so I have a separate load for hand guns and rifles for cast bullets.
I use W296 and yes it can be a bit dirty if reduced loads are used but when I power them up they blow the soot out of the barrel with the bullet.
310 gr hard cast bullets and W296 powder will seal the deal very quickly!

I've got a Marlin 1895 44 magnum that I purchased new about 20 years ago and have been shooting locally remanufactured ammo. I'm about out so going to try my hand at loading the 44. I am shooting 240 grain Hornady XTP with just ok results. Approximately 2" 5 shot groups at 70 yards with a low power scope. I am looking for recommendations on bullets and powder and any helpful tips for reloading the 44 magnum rifle. Thanks in advance for any advice, Birddog
You'd do better going heavier. 300gr Keith style Hard Cast or 300gr Flat Point hard cast or 300gr Barnes or XTP. All will drop anything in NA.

Mention if using led or jacketed bullets. Lead 210 gr GC lynan 429215 with the 110 powders or 296 great deer round for up-state NY & PA hunting- shooting the Ruger semi auto rifle and Colt Anacanda pistol same loads Jacketed use to clean the bbl from the lead if doing a lot of shooting. Have also used the 240/250 gr lyman molds but favor the 210 gr. The 250 HP 429640 HP GC is also a sweet shooter in heavier brush. Try to keep inside 75 yds for deer hunting in brush country.

Last edited:
As others have stated, 296,H110 and 240 grain jacketed bullets are a good way to go.
I have also used Bluedot and it works fine but leaves more residue. Accuracy should be good if you experiment with the load a little. I have loaded for this caliber for several decades and carry my 44 RedHawk when hunting in bear country as a backup.
Because of the recoil system and weight, my IMI Desert Eagle likes a maximum charge of 296 for best accuracy. You really can't go wrong with any of the recommendations I read here. Just work with the load to get beat accuracy. I have had very good results with the Nosler bullets out to 200 yards.

I'm definitely seeing some trends here. Max loads of H110 or 296 with a magnum primer and seems most people are happy using the 240 grain XTP although quite a few using heavier. I've got a good starting point now and appreciate all of the input.

Recent Posts