44 magnum rifle load

birddog 68

I've got a Marlin 1895 44 magnum that I purchased new about 20 years ago and have been shooting locally remanufactured ammo. I'm about out so going to try my hand at loading the 44. I am shooting 240 grain Hornady XTP with just ok results. Approximately 2" 5 shot groups at 70 yards with a low power scope. I am looking for recommendations on bullets and powder and any helpful tips for reloading the 44 magnum rifle. Thanks in advance for any advice, Birddog

It's been a while since I've loaded for a 44. Gun is a nef handy rifle cut to 16-1/2" (give or take).
300 grain xtp.
I used h110 and trail boss.
Trail boss did exactly what I wanted. (Subsonic)
Both powders shot great. Just a touch over an inch at 100 yards.

I have read about using H110 but don't remember seeing anything about trailboss. H110 is available locally and was leaning towards that but will check for the trail boss. I was thinking about going lighter in bullet weight but I do like to use heavies just didn't know if they would shoot well.

I've got a Marlin 1895 44 magnum that I purchased new about 20 years ago and have been shooting locally remanufactured ammo. I'm about out so going to try my hand at loading the 44. I am shooting 240 grain Hornady XTP with just ok results. Approximately 2" 5 shot groups at 70 yards with a low power scope. I am looking for recommendations on bullets and powder and any helpful tips for reloading the 44 magnum rifle. Thanks in advance for any advice, Birddog
It may help if you told us what you have on hand to do this, or what you plan on buying.
I load for 357, revolver-rifle, my goal is a complete burn in the rifle barrel. Lever guns are harder to clean unless you take them apart.
H 110 is not a bad powder, and it is a listed powder for 44 mag in the Hornady manual, but it will never burn clean.
Accurate #9 would be my pick, not too fast as to small increments of powder creating pressure spikes, not so slow as to getting a crappy burn.

It may help if you told us what you have on hand to do this, or what you plan on buying.
I load for 357, revolver-rifle, my goal is a complete burn in the rifle barrel. Lever guns are harder to clean unless you take them apart.
H 110 is not a bad powder, and it is a listed powder for 44 mag in the Hornady manual, but it will never burn clean.
Accurate #9 would be my pick, not too fast as to small increments of powder creating pressure spikes, not so slow as to getting a crappy burn.
I'm starting from scratch other than some large pistol primers that my buddy has. Seems like bullets are available but powder's not so much. I'll be using it for close range wt deer (under 100 yards)

I've been using H110 for many years. It works well in both rifle and handgun. I have never noticed any issues with H110 being a dirty powder. That could be caused by a low pressure load but it is not recommended to down load H110 very much. Use a reliable reloading manual.

Not all rifles are twisted to stabilize the 300gr bullets so it's worth checking if you are interested in them. I used readily available 240gr and 265gr jacketed bullets. FWIW, I only use LP mag primers although standard LP may work as well.

Have fun.

From what I read the 44 magnum Marlins have a 1:38 twist so I think I will need to stick with the 240 grain or lighter. Seems like H 110 is readily available and Hornady has pretty good velocity listed with it.
JBM bullet stability calculator Also one on Berger's web site; may use the same logic / Al Gore Rhythms.

From what I read the 44 magnum Marlins have a 1:38 twist so I think I will need to stick with the 240 grain or lighter. Seems like H 110 is readily available and Hornady has pretty good velocity listed with it.
I just noticed that MidSouth Shooters has an 8lb jug of H110 for $236! 8lbs of H110 will last longer than your shoulder. LOL

I've used 296 for 38 years. From 180 to 240gr bullets. I do have h110 and lil gun for 50ae, but will do some with the hodgdon mentioned. I do all with cci350. I'll find out if any work well in the rossi92. I do have a 1895 in 45/70 that's fun to shoot.

If I wanted to load light and fast for hunting, this would definitely get a try.
56C72E4D-A5A5-40F2-A9C4-FE78F8F8AE7C.jpeg

Recent Posts