44 cal straight wall cartridge opinions needed

An option not mentioned is a shortened 458 Win loaded with 44 cal bullets if you are shooting it out of a bolt gun. If a shortened 444 doesn't work for a lever, I would suggest you shorten a 38-55 case and shoot that out of a 38-55 rifle. Same option exists using a 375 Winchester. As far as bullet jump goes, I would shoot them before setting the barrel back on any of them.

In a perfect world, they'd get rid of the 1.8" case length and/or bottleneck restrictions.
Yes, but the facts are MI DNR FOUGHT the existing rule tooth and nail until very end. The simple explanation is the rule was written to accept in rifle configuration what was already accepted in handgun. The PRIMARY reason for the rule was to improve and increase hunter sustainability by providing additional options that has less recoil even than 20 gauge slug. The were other benefits such as ammunition decreased costs. If anything else was added to the proposal, DNR would have had "technical" basis to stop the rule from going forward. As it was, took five years to finally get to NRC. DNR did not want "rifles" in the shotgun zone strictly due to political concerns from non hunters. There is no chance DNR will allow bottlenecks in shotgun zone. What needs to be done is the addition of certain cartridges that are "consistent" with the intent of the rule like the 45-70, 38-55, .444, .445 Super Mag, .375 Win etc We need MUCC to step up to the plate to help foster this change. I have been working on a draft to submit and will advise.

Why me? I authored the original rule and feel its time to add since we now have 5 years of success. Of course anyone can do same, its just personal for me to try to improve the rule to what I hoped for but knew we had to stay the course to get successful passing of rule.

FYI, Ohio beat MI to finish line but understand they copied MI draft and got it done faster. Why? Ohio wanted to provide hunters young and old better options.

What is interesting is how many other states have adopted similar rifle type rules in shotgun zones.

The best option for best "bang" for the buck is still probably the .460 S&W (1.8") but I will tell you recoil is wicked in light rifle like Encore unless muzzle brake is incorporated. I've shot a few and they do have longer range capability and now some better bullet selections.

The best option for best "bang" for the buck is still probably the .460 S&W (1.8") but I will tell you recoil is wicked in light rifle like Encore unless muzzle brake is incorporated. I've shot a few and they do have longer range capability and now some better bullet selections.
I'm well versed on the maximum bang you can get while staying legal. I shoot the 45 raptor...rimless 460 SW. While I can't prove it, I likely was the first person in Michigan to kill a deer with the cartridge in '14.
Thank you for getting this initiative started and completed. 1417285450000465e496d146dbb84e4404920c430a5304df4ae348c72fdef9772b26608f63e976ec43336ea0a93223...jpg

The limitation of a straight wall, 1.8" cartridge should not be much of a limiting factor. You can get power and big bullets with a 250 yard range window or you can make a fairly flat, good shooting 400 yard round by going down in calibre of bullet. You could neck up a 223 case to to 30 calibre and increase the taper or 338 calibre with little taper adjustment needed. Loaded with lighter bullets they would scoot along real good. Other options are a 22-250 case to 41, or a 300 Savage or 308 Win case to 44. etc..

The limitation of a straight wall, 1.8" cartridge should not be much of a limiting factor. You can get power and big bullets with a 250 yard range window or you can make a fairly flat, good shooting 400 yard round by going down in calibre of bullet. You could neck up a 223 case to to 30 calibre and increase the taper or 338 calibre with little taper adjustment needed. Loaded with lighter bullets they would scoot along real good. Other options are a 22-250 case to 41, or a 300 Savage or 308 Win case to 44. etc..
Somewhere in my collection of junk I have a .30-40 Krag casing cut down and stuffed with a .44 Cal JHP. Cant remember if I figured out quite what it was.

A stiff(1600fps) 44 mag rifle with a 225gr ftx is 10.3 moa at 200 yards with a 100y zero. Get a reticle with subtentions that work with that, or the same load with a 6" mpbr gives 144yd and hold dead on.

How far are you shooting?

Last edited:
I have a rossi92 in 44mag and it's a wonderful lever gun! 20" barrel with some 200-210gr and you should be good to go. With my 210 gdhp (speer) the ME is almost 2k.

A stiff(1600fps) 44 mag rifle with a 225gr ftx is 10.3 moa at 200 yards with a 100y zero. Get a reticle with subtentions that work with that, or the same load with a 6" mpbr gives 144yd and hold dead on.

How far are you shooting?
I shoot out to 150-160 yards. The 44 mag is good up to maybe 100. I have a ruger 44 carbine that is fun to shoot, but won't stabilize the newer bullets 1:38 twist.
Also, I hunt big timber and brushy spots. I don't have much time to get shots off. Many off my encounters are less than 1 minute. Ranging and dialing aren't on the table.
I need a flat shooting hammer. Would even entertain a 35 cal something based on a '06.
My preference being a belted cartridge to cut down.....for headspace reasons.
1.8" max case length
35 cal or larger
Straight wall

Thank you guys for all the input.

I shoot out to 150-160 yards. The 44 mag is good up to maybe 100. I have a ruger 44 carbine that is fun to shoot, but won't stabilize the newer bullets 1:38 twist.
Also, I hunt big timber and brushy spots. I don't have much time to get shots off. Many off my encounters are less than 1 minute. Ranging and dialing aren't on the table.
I need a flat shooting hammer. Would even entertain a 35 cal something based on a '06.
My preference being a belted cartridge to cut down.....for headspace reasons.
1.8" max case length
35 cal or larger
Straight wall

Thank you guys for all the input.
So basically you circled right back around to the 350 Legend then. Only other option that fits is a 416 based configuration using spire points but finding light enough bullets that will expand may be an issue. If you want a rimmed case, so you aren't headspacing off the front of the neck like the 350, you could start with the 240 Weatherby case and add the taper needed for .41 or 35.

Last edited:
So basically you circled right back around to the 350 Legend then. Only other option that fits is a 416 based configuration using spire points but finding light enough bullets that will expand may be an issue.
350L doesn't have the powder capacity. Only uses ~25grs of power. I've loaded for this cartridge extensively. Really need to get closer to 40 grs for that to become a wow cartridge. I ran the hammer bullets in excess of 2800, but the are very light and deflect easily off of limbs.
I have a friend using a custom 40x1.8. I'd go that route, but bullets for a 40 cal rifle are crap or insanely heavy.....or 10mm hangun stuff.
Ideally the bullet would be in the 180-200 gr range.

350L doesn't have the powder capacity. Only uses ~25grs of power. I've loaded for this cartridge extensively. Really need to get closer to 40 grs for that to become a wow cartridge. I ran the hammer bullets in excess of 2800, but the are very light and deflect easily off of limbs.
I have a friend using a custom 40x1.8. I'd go that route, but bullets for a 40 cal rifle are crap or insanely heavy.....or 10mm hangun stuff.
Ideally the bullet would be in the 180-200 gr range.
Well then, my suggestion to start with the 240 Bee case would give you near the powder capacity you want and still use .35 bullets. You could also use the 257 Bee case if you want even more powder capacity.

I noticed you mentioned an Encore. You might want to put a link over on the Specialty Handgun Hunting on this site. There are lots of Encore hunters over there as well as XP hunters as well.

I've been thinking about trying a 375 Winchester cut down to 1.8 inches and then using the 185gr. Lehigh controlled chaos bullets and see what kind of velocity I could get. It should beat the 350 legend but not kick as hard as a 44-45 cal.