416 thumper

What if I told you ......

You can harness the power of the 416 Rigby, 416 Remington or the 416 Ruger etc .... in a cartridge shorter than a 300 WSM ?

And there is an action that was made specifically for it and you can have a complete rifle built for you, along with factory made brass available for it ?

The 416 Thumper concept is a simple one, yet very effective in achieving the criteria presented ...

Cut 375 Chey Tac brass to length and neck down to 416 caliber , shoulder angle and body taper optimized for proper feeding and extraction with ample case capacity to use modern powders that are not temperature sensitive to recreate the velocity/energy and notorious killing power established by the great 416's on dangerous game all over the world

The 416 Thumper is the first of a complete line of cartridges in calibers from .30 cal to .50 cal designed for the "Thumper" action developed by Pierce Engineering in Michigan, USA

https://pierceengineeringltd.com

View attachment 127643 View attachment 127644 View attachment 127642 View attachment 127641

Do have any numbers on the ballistics?

What if I told you ......

You can harness the power of the 416 Rigby, 416 Remington or the 416 Ruger etc .... in a cartridge shorter than a 300 WSM ?

And there is an action that was made specifically for it and you can have a complete rifle built for you, along with factory made brass available for it ?

The 416 Thumper concept is a simple one, yet very effective in achieving the criteria presented ...

Cut 375 Chey Tac brass to length and neck down to 416 caliber , shoulder angle and body taper optimized for proper feeding and extraction with ample case capacity to use modern powders that are not temperature sensitive to recreate the velocity/energy and notorious killing power established by the great 416's on dangerous game all over the world

The 416 Thumper is the first of a complete line of cartridges in calibers from .30 cal to .50 cal designed for the "Thumper" action developed by Pierce Engineering in Michigan, USA

https://pierceengineeringltd.com

View attachment 127643 View attachment 127644 View attachment 127642 View attachment 127641

Awesome! I like the thought of running the new .30cal 245gr Bergers around 3250fps.....in a S/A ha.

Also I think the 340gr CE bullet would make a good combo with the .416 for longer shots and hit just about anything with that DRT authority.

Last edited:
Swamplord,
Unless I missed it, Pierce doesn't mention any of these cartridges on their website. Where did you find the information?

Swamplord,
Unless I missed it, Pierce doesn't mention any of these cartridges on their website. Where did you find the information?

The Pierce Engineering website has not been updated yet

John Pierce posted the info on his Facebook page on March 12th, 2019

the project has been going on for a few years now

Here are the screenshots of Johns post for those who don't have facebook

** The pic showing the case headstamps may be confusing, both are same CheyTac size, the 416 Thumper case is much shorter and sits lower than the 338 Crusher and appears smaller

IMG_2877.jpg
IMG_2878.jpg
IMG_2879.jpg
IMG_2880.jpg
IMG_2881.jpg
IMG_2882.jpg

The 416 Thumper was designed to approximate the famous dangerous game stopping ballistics of the 416 Rigby/416 Rem but in a fat short action case and action

350 gr bullets at 2600 fps
400 gr bullets at 2400 fps

data was generated with 20" barrels
Wow. What's the ballistics of the 338

Why is my mouth watering while I stare at that 416 round? I have an addition to large calibers that I am trying to kick and this is not helping. Do you have any ballistic info on it?

338 crusher looks freaking awesome! I wonder how it compares to a 33xc which has 126gr usable case capacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.