.416 Taylor in a pistol ?

HarryN

Hi, I have been looking around at various cartridges for a heavy duty round (but still hand hold capable) - perhaps XP - 100R center grip style.

For various reasons it seems like a belted or flanged cartridge might make sense. It is essentially a 458 win mag case necked down to .416. There is not a lot of info around on it, but it is a SAMMI round and midway sells brass and loaded ammo for it.

I kind of like .416 calibers lately (at least in theory) , but maybe it would pass after trying to fire it. Most likely I would need to load it down some to actually enjoy. So far, this is just joy-reading, but who knows.

Has anyone played with the .416 Taylor ?

I am not sure if this is practical or not, but loading it with a long bullet and seating it extra deep with a light charge load might help.

Another idea would be to just buy some more common rounds in low recoil versions from Nyati, but the Taylor looks interesting.

How about a 416 Ruger? It's a factory round with reasonably available brass and ammo and it's capable of better performance.

I had a 15" Encore in 416 Rigby for a while and it was a lot of fun. With the brake it wasn't too bad to shoot but it was pretty snappy! You could always down load it with Trail Boss if you didn't want to run full throttle.

Andrew

At this point, it will be 99% paper punching and 1 % carry as a backup as a "just in case there is a bear and the rifle is not with me".

I watched a youtube video of an Alaska coastal brown take 5 hits x 375HH from 3 experienced hunters before it went down and that is pretty eye opening. I haven't been to Alaska, but it is on my list of things to do.

Depending on what I read, there is still of course the whole "penetration with high sectional density" vs. "big, wide, and not too fast" is better discussion. I am not qualified to add to this discussion but it is interesting.

As a practical matter, I usually just use my plain jane 270 win 700 ADL for everything and a 357 revolver will do anything I need right now.

I am in the mood for a bigger bore rifle setup and "something" in .416 Weatherby is on the list, so it seems like a bigger bore pistol should go hand in hand. The logic sort of works if you don't think about it too hard. :)

your 270 Is fine for Alaskan game from mice to moose and possible bear encounters can be countered with the 500 S&W Mag revolver or the 460 S&W /454 Casull, a 5-6 shot DA revolver is a better defense tool than a long barreled single shot bolt action "pifle"

Thanks for the info.

My 270 is sort of going through a re-set as I figure out how to switch entirely to lead free. I don't want to bother with working up lead / lead free variations of everything so for now I am treating it like a very healthy .243.

The interest in .416 is that I figured that if I am forced to move up in caliber anyway, might as well make a real jump instead of 1/4 and 1/2 steps. That will give me a 100ish grain rifle and a 350ish grain rifle.

I held a S/W 460 VR (I think 10 inch barrel) at the store then other day. It is quite a handful and didn't really seem like it could be drawn very quickly but did seem easy to point.

It almost seems like a lever action or carbine rifle would be handier to carry than these larger revolvers - still thinking about it.

The XP-100R I used with a center grip was pretty handy, but that particular one was in a much smaller caliber as well.

Do you think that there is a real chance (timing wise) to get off more than 2 rounds from a revolver in a bear defense situation? I am not exactly Jerry Miculek.

I would take a big bore revolver over a bolt pistol any day for that work. your only going to get one shot out of the xp. and the R model is a rear grip repeater i think so going midgrip gives out one shot anyway. the revolver does not have to be long barrel either. a 4-6" would draw quick.

I have never hunted big bears before- so my opinion is somewhat uninformed. That being said I think the best bear defense handgun is a high capacity .45 with a .460 Rowland conversion. You end up with what is essentially a 14 shot .44 mag. No doubt the largest caliber revolvers are more powerful- but a properly placed .44 mag will kill any brown bear quickly.

All the charges I have ever heard of are very high stress situations where there is not much time to aim, etc. I would think for every one shot a guy could get off with a large revolver the same guy could get 3-5 rounds out of a .460 Rowland. In that scenario my money is on the auto.

I carried a tiger super redhawk in 454 in Alaska in the interior for ten years never felt underguned .I did buy a couple of 416 rem mags for tent and camper gins .I.almist got eaten on my first Alaska hunt by grizzlies and I had my 338 win mag .You are in their world at night .

I had a 15" Encore in 416 Rigby for a while and it was a lot of fun. With the brake it wasn't too bad to shoot but it was pretty snappy! You could always down load it with Trail Boss if you didn't want to run full throttle.

Andrew

Any Pictures left in your archives??? One of my favorite calibers, in a hand cannon is calling me. Too bad that you don't have it to SELL. :cool:

I'm a little late to this site. I have a SSK .416 Taylor Encore. I've taken SCI #4 lion, #11 Cape buff, #2 roan, several cow buffs, 30+ deer, and 50+ groundhogs with it. It's highly accurate, has reasonable recoil with SSK's break.
It's a great gun.

I'm a little late to this site. I have a SSK .416 Taylor Encore. I've taken SCI #4 lion, #11 Cape buff, #2 roan, several cow buffs, 30+ deer, and 50+ groundhogs with it. It's highly accurate, has reasonable recoil with SSK's break.
It's a great gun.
Ya gonna sell it??? :D Let's see some pictures! :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.