416 SNIPETAC : INFO

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by mantovavo, Jul 4, 2018.

1. mantovavo

mantovavo Member

Hello guys

Is there someone that can help me to discover some informations about 416 SNIPETAC as alternative cartridge to 416 BARRETT ( BARREL BURNER) ?

It's true that the 416 snipetac and the 416 barrett are very close in performances ?

I see that the Pacific Tools have a chamber reamer and go-nogo gauges but the reloading dies where

I can find ?

The Lothar Walther barrels produce a 36" inch barrel with 1/12 twist and 1.65" diameter

i'd like to shoot 500 grains bullets from the 416 snipetac but I don't have experience with this caliber.

Please if You can help me

Giuliano

Thanks a lot

2. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

I don't have any first hand experience with a 416 SnipeTac, but I did neck one of my 338 Big Baer (338/408 Improved) cases up to 416 to get a case volume measurement. I came up with a case capacity of 172gr H2O. Using that number in Quickload I'd imagine that a 416 SnipeTac would come in around 75-100fps behind 416 Barrett with a 500gr bullet from equal barrel lengths. You could probably load the 416 SnipeTac to higher pressures and bring them a little closer together.

You could look into the 416 Hubel Express. It would give a case capacity closer to the Barrett but still work in a CT sized action.

3. mantovavo

mantovavo Member

Yorke.....many thanks for your time...:):)

4. cowboywhorses

cowboywhorses Well-Known Member

When the new 375 Mercenary brass comes out then you use that brass and neck it up.