.416 Rigby Brass Pressure Tolerance

mitch260

Can any of you guys out there with .416 rigby based wildcats speak as to the strength of Hornady or Norma brass? is it capable of 63,000 PSI? If not what do you think you are loading it too with decent (3-5 firings) case life?

Thanks

Are you wildcatting?

What are you wanting to push and how fast?

If it is a wildcat, it is shorter than a 338 Lapua Magnum (parent case is the 416)

Can any of you guys out there with .416 rigby based wildcats speak as to the strength of Hornady or Norma brass? is it capable of 63,000 PSI? If not what do you think you are loading it too with decent (3-5 firings) case life?

Thanks
IMHO: It won't be good to go 63k PSI. 3 to 5 loadings is more like 52k PSI.

I had an idea floating around in my head for a .375 that I put in QL, but it really needs around 63,000 psi. to be worth it. I know the rigby is only rated for around 55,000 psi but I wasn't sure if/was hoping the modern brass could handle more.

I had an idea floating around in my head for a .375 that I put in QL, but it really needs around 63,000 psi. to be worth it. I know the rigby is only rated for around 55,000 psi but I wasn't sure if/was hoping the modern brass could handle more.
A steady diet of 63k psi is a lot to digest for any brass.

Is this design longer than a 338Lapua?

Yes, case length is 2.900". Even if it would only last 2-3 firings that wouldn't be too bad I guess. The price of the Hornady brass is like $44 per 20 here at my local store.

According to QL, take it for what its worth, it comes within about 60 FPS of the .375 Cheytac both with 350gr bullets, both 30" and both loaded to 63,000 psi. They are about 70 FPS apart at 60,000 psi.

I was thinking this would be really cool as an extra barrel for a .338 Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.