.410x73Mag?

Muddyboots

Found 3 spent cases at range and never saw before. Guess used in .410 and Russian shotgun ammo? Looks like it could be nice leather hole punch!😂
693181C4-4BB0-41C0-BE82-74DABBBA1FAB.jpeg

Interesting headstamp: the diameter is given in inches, (.410), but the length is given in mm (73). The photo of the box that Taylorms attached shows the diameter and length given in inches. I wonder why the maker of the brass would mark it that way?

Interesting headstamp: the diameter is given in inches, (.410), but the length is given in mm (73). The photo of the box that Taylorms attached shows the diameter and length given in inches. I wonder why the maker of the brass would mark it that way?
The photo of the box shows both. Right below the .410-3" Magnum it shows (.410/73 Magnum)

I assume the name 410 is so common world wide that it is being used as a name more so than a measurement. Like when most people say 9mm they are referring to the 9x19 Luger even though there are many 9mm by measurement out there.

BradyT88: I saw that, but was surprised that is what showed up in the headstamp. I think you're right about .410 being so common worldwide that it is considered the name more than the diameter.

It also appears in the photo that Taylorms posted, compared to the photo that muddyboots posted, that the brass is crimped significantly. I would think that would make it harder to reload --- meaning reforming that crimp on subsequent loads would work harden the brass. Why use brass if you're not going to reload, and why crimp so significantly if it is intended for reloading?

Found 3 spent cases at range and never saw before. Guess used in .410 and Russian shotgun ammo? Looks like it could be nice leather hole punch!😂View attachment 304680
Nice find!!!!! Could even be THREE NICE LEATHER HOLE PUNCHES! OR...as you say..one leather hole punch...and two brass Whistles for calling Cow Elk....or

BradyT88: I saw that, but was surprised that is what showed up in the headstamp. I think you're right about .410 being so common worldwide that it is considered the name more than the diameter.

It also appears in the photo that Taylorms posted, compared to the photo that muddyboots posted, that the brass is crimped significantly. I would think that would make it harder to reload --- meaning reforming that crimp on subsequent loads would work harden the brass. Why use brass if you're not going to reload, and why crimp so significantly if it is intended for reloading?
My best guess here is that the case is the whole length of the chamber so there is no room to have the bullet protruding from the end of the case mouth. Based on the shape of the crimp, I'm guessing the bullet is tapered rather than flat. They likely crimped it down like that to aid in loading and to remove both the potential sharp edge of the case mouth and the gap between the bullet and the case that could have something get caught in there that may or may not cause a pressure spike.

Since it is Russian it is probably Berdan primed and most people won't reload for that. I'm just speculating though.

Brady T88

I'd guess you've pretty well analyzed the situation. I note on the box it does say the load is a slug in a sabot, but I'll bet the crimp unrolls to completely fill the length of the chamber. I know Russian ammo manufacturers produce some ammo with Boxer primers, but the photo by OP doesn't show whether its Berdan or Boxer primed.