.410 Slugs

I built a .410 on a Moslin-Nigant action with a Douglass .411 Bore barrel. I have pushed 260 gr bullets to around 1,700 fps. without blowing out the rims on the cases, but any faster an the rims blow out. I built the gun hopeing to use brass cases, which would have been the same as the .405 Win. ( Teddy Rosevelt`s favorit African plains gun) but Ohio won`t let me use solid brass cases. I did send for tech. data on their ammo, my give it a try.

I don't know exactly what Ohio told you but I bet their heartburn is with the head stamp. If it said ".410 gauge" I don't see how they could object. The guy's over at Accurate Reloading had that problem with the "12 GAUGE FROM HELL" but after they had brass with 12 gauge on it everything was OK. They machined off the rim had it threaded and screwed on the replacement rim with the .12 gauge designation. Maybe the guy's at Hoening will do the same.

I know I would certianly be interested in a "high power" shotgun. It would be great if you could get a little .410 SxS to act like a dangerous game SxS, but I would think the pressures you would need to obtain to do so would become a safety issue.

With Ruger now making the JUDGE Pistol taking eather the 2 1/2 or 3 inch shell or the 45 long Colt now there are several company's making ammo just for the Judge, Winchester has a 3 inch 410 shot shell with THREE round disks and 12/00 buck shot.
Saw it demonstrated on Shooting USA last night it just ripped up the paper target, not a nice day for the bad guy.

appetiteforvenison, just curious my son's father-in-law owns a judge and carrys it in a holster whenever he's in his yard or field to shoot snakes. So i'm wondering what distance is 7 1/2 good for on blackbirds? He'd probably get a kick out of shooting some.

appetiteforvenison, just curious my son's father-in-law owns a judge and carrys it in a holster whenever he's in his yard or field to shoot snakes. So i'm wondering what distance is 7 1/2 good for on blackbirds? He'd probably get a kick out of shooting some.

To be really honest with you not far at all! Even at 20 feet when they land it's tough. I'm going to the rang today and I'll try to pattern one on a full size man target, I think the shot opens up pretty fast due to the rifling. I fish where there are many cat tails surrounding a small lake and they love to dive bomb me when I'm on the dock. I let them until I'm done fishing and then I usually unload the gun about twice and I'm doing good if I get two. These are very close up. I'd be lying if I said it's not mostly luck. But man is it fun.

Mossberg M183 3-shot bolt action .410 bore shotgun. I topped it with a red-dot scope intending to hunt doves, but it didn't do well. Although it shoots like a rifle with slugs and proved quite accurate at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.