410 3 inch powder

204_ruger

I picked up some 300MP lil gun and h110. Going to load 11/16 nickel platted shot 5 1/2 and 6 shot. I order sp10 and ballistic products stretch wads. I also bought the small bore and Lyman shotgun books. I hoped to get a better pattern . The nickel platted should do better on killing than the chilled lead shot. I also got a bag of magnum shot 6. I know the nickel platted will make a better load. But to me the difference in price nickel vs the regular lead shot is worth it. I had to shoot a few squirrels 2 times because of the leaves. If the nickel platted shot saves me a extra shot will be worth it.

All 3 powders should work fine. 300MP is my personal favorite. I've tested both nickel and copper plated shot. To me, copper plated does better
Nickel plated is so hard it shoots like steel. Patterns great, but goes right through the bird/squirrel with little deformation. They fly off/run, then fall dead when they bleed out
JMO

I was going to buy copper platted shot. But on another forum. The guys told me I would be better off with nickel platted shot. I was told nickel platted shot carry's more energy when it hit something. It would kill better pattern better than copper. I am new to reloading for a 410 and platted shot. I know copper is cheaper than nickel when buying.

Where I hunt grey squirrels dont set still long enough. I would use a 22 but hard go get them to stop. Plus it's so leafy. And I dont like shooting a 22 in national forest. Never know if some is on top of a ridge. Tress are very tall. I just like using a 410. Plus I can kill quail and rabbits when I jump them.

All of my testing was for waterfowl (ducks and geese). I could see birds get hit hard and keep flying. They'd fly 50-100 yds and then fall out dead with nickel. If you want some truly lethal stuff and don't plan to shoot a lot, try ITX or tungsten from Ballistic Products. Tungsten 9s would be better in the .410

Do like I did. At the price of any shot these days and loading components or the price of 410 factory shells I sold the 410 got a 20 ga. and solved both problems of cost and killing ability. You can purchase factory 20 ga. shells cheaper than you can hand load them.

I have 2 20ga shotguns. I like the 410. Only thing on 410 that cost me to reload is power and wad. I have different size shot from yrs ago crow hunting. I been picking up once fired brass. So I am not going to have much in my shells.

All 3 powders should work fine. 300MP is my personal favorite. I've tested both nickel and copper plated shot. To me, copper plated does better
Nickel plated is so hard it shoots like steel. Patterns great, but goes right through the bird/squirrel with little deformation. They fly off/run, then fall dead when they bleed out
JMO
Do u use a powder baffle when u reload for a 410? I was told I would have too use one with 300MP.

Ok that's what I got coming. A guy pm me on another forum. He said stay away from the metal ones. He said there junk. But I got to reading about them. It said the metal worked better than plastic one. I scored on a metal one today. 10.00 shipped too me.

Ok that's what I got coming. A guy pm me on another forum. He said stay away from the metal ones. He said there junk. But I got to reading about them. It said the metal worked better than plastic one. I scored on a metal one today. 10.00 shipped too me.
If you load much, the plastic ones fracture at the base. I've got 2 metal ones on the 2 machines I keep set up on the bench. Move from machine to machine as I change gauges. Probably loaded >10,000 on these 2 with no problem. Plastic one didn't make it to 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.