• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 40X built by Hammonds

How "Heavy" is the gun?What stock does it have?What is the barrel twist?Would you consider a trade for a 27" Douglas barreled 7STW built on a 700 action with a sako extractor in a Green and Black marbled Rem "Hunter" style stock..............Weight is about 8 pound's..

Hello Boyd. She weighs about 16 lbs and still has the origonal walnut factory stock.The stock carries some battle scares but is just fine. Never needed a "plastic" stock on it, The trigger is as good as a rem trigger will get. The action has been slightly machined to accept the long case but all work is professional . As far as I know all 40X are short acions and require the machine work to use the big stuff in them. The barrel is 30" not sure what the contour is called "heavy magnum?" it is 1 in 9" I think . It has a standard chamber and shoot hand loads and factory loads (that is how I mad brass).
I am not "up" on this stuff like I used to be , I spend most time hunting with traditional archery equipment and don't roll out the big gun unless I really need it. I do have lots of family members who like to use it though! I am always along when we go long ranging .
The area we hunt in requires lots of uphill hiking to get to. Dad can't carry the rifle up there anymore and I don't want to. I let him carry my sporter 7STW up there and we killed 2 buck 736 yds. So we are now going to get a .300 ultra sporter made so we can carry it up the hills.
The 40x for sale is sort of an heirloom and is the best shooting "big rifle" I have ever used. It is not easy to sell. It will put my handloads (180 bal tip on top RL25 3450 fps) and the factory loads into one jagged hole at 200. Never had the chance to put it on paper but it busts rocks real nice out at 1300 yds! this is the 3rd barrel on it , the first was 7 mm then a .30 cal that did not suit me and now this one is a shooter no doubt!I can send pics if you need them. Also lets trade what we saw this year? we can do it E-mail cause if I say on here they call me a liar! Tioga county has some enourmous buck and their luck is running out.

Maybe we have met up there? Tedd Druck , our camp is in lycoming just above waterville. but I hunt a little farther north. Long range hunting deer has really helped my archery hunting. My farthest shot about 7 yrs ago was 701. it was a one shotter and i was using nosler partitions in my brand new STW. I was hunting in the woods and not set up for long range that day. We changed plans at the last min and that was the ammo I had . Hit that buck in the shoulders holding on his tail for wind . Was a darn miracle!

Tedd,I sent you an e-mail,but I got it back???????????????????????
confused.gif
Try sending me one....

Recent Posts