.408 CheyTac Questions

lucasgreff

I am looking at having a custom rifle built. I have looked at the .338 Edge and the .338 Lapua. It appears that both of those can be built on Rem700 Magnum actions. Can a .408 cheytac be built on that action? If not what actions can it be built on?
Also I have been hard pressed to find either bullets or brass for reloading. Is this available? I believe that there are a few owners of these rifles or similiar ones on this forum so I thought I would ask here. I am pretty much just shopping around to see what will get me the most bang for my buck. I was just reading some info on a Chey-Tac M200 setting records and wondered it all the fuss is legit.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Lucas

I've worked on the 408 CheyTac.

While great in concept, in practice it is a royal pain in the rear end.

The brass is horrible. If you like up ten cases, they resemble a police line up. No two shoulders are alike.

Just beware that your initial nights will consist of reworking all the cases, then you better anneal them too.

I like to use molten lead for this.

Now you need a gun and your question answered.

No way is a Remington going to work for this cartridge. The case is just too big for the bolt. No safe way to do it anyways, not in my opinion.

I'd suggest a Nesika Model M. They won't do it for you, so you'll have to take to to someone who will. You need the M cause its long enough (with a little port elongating mind you ) and has the bigger bolt diameter which is what you REALLY need here. This case is a boomer for sure.

If you really get serious about it, please gimme a shout. I'd be happy to help if I could

Awesome round. Good luck.

Wow, $1300 for an action? I think I will have to stick to the Edge or Lapua. It was a nice thought but I think the .408 is out of my league. Thanks for the information. I also don't know anything about modifying my own brass so I am out there too.
I wonder what other cartridge will reach out to 2000 yds w/ predictable accuracy?

Lucas

I am sure I will catch some flak for this but nothing really gets to 2K with "predicatable" accuracy. If we are really talking about LRH and ruling out anything under a 5" gun 2K is a fer piece. It seems that 2K is the "new" 1000 yard shot "right in the eye". I am not saying things can't eventually be hit that far and maybe even the first shot sometimes..... certainly? not. I guess sometimes I feel the need to be the nay sayer just to keep it real...

flame away

I apologize. I have no intention of hunting at that distance. My furthest hunting kill was 400 yards so I am slowly going out at that distance. What I want is a rifle that will reach out as far as my ability can take me in time. Mostly for target shooting

sorry for the confusion

Lucas

Have you looked at armalite's AR-30 in 338 lapua?! factory rifle that would do everything you would want and cost less than a custom. I believe there are a few on here with experience with them. (maybe they will chime in with a yah or nah). check it out.

I have looked at that AR-30 quite a bit. As well as the TRG-42. The only thing that I really like about the customs by Shawn Carlock and others is that they send you a target shot with your rifle that seems to always be under 1/2 MOA. So your talking an extra $300-500 for a guaranteed shooter. Maybe less if you provide the stock and action to them. So while I am by no means counting that AR-30 out and am keeping an eye out on GunsAmerica and GunBroker as well as my local shops. If I can save up the money I would like a truly custom rifle.

That being said if anybody on this forum owns either a TRG-42 or AR-30 in .338 Lapua I would love to know how yours shoots and the quirks and eccentricities of them.
thanks
Lucas

NesikaChad,

Not to ruffle your feathers but the Nesika Model M does not have a thread diameter large enough to be safe with the 408 CT and its wildcat offspring.

Have you done this or seen it done? IF so, I would HIGHLY Recommend it not be done. Not a question of receiver strength, its a question of barrel thread shank diameter, not enough for this size of chambering.

All the 408 CT receivers I know if have at least a 1.125" thread diameter and most are larger then this. 1.0625" is not large enough for the CT or its wildcat siblings.

It may work for a while but your really stessing those barrels and if you use one of the softer barrels, you could be in serious trouble.

Just my opinion.

Just talked to Richard yesterday at Nesika, he said again they have no receiver that will work with the 408 CT and have no plans on making one.

My Raptor receiver is far stronger then the Nesika Model M receiver and there is no way I would ever consider chambering it in the 408 CT simply because of the barrel thread diameter issues mentioned.

Not meaning to offend you but I can not agree with your recommendations and feel there are HUGE liability issues at hand converting a Nesika M receiver for the 408 CT.

Kirby Allen(50)

If standard actions are to weak for the CheyTac. What actions do you use to make a rifle? Or does each action have to be custom made? I still like the idea of a .408 cheytac or wildcat based on it but I just need more information.
Just curious
Lucas

I have used several receivers designed specifically for the 408 CT and the very best one I have ever used and really the only one I recommend for my Xtreme Heavy Sporter rifles in my 408 based wildcat rounds is the BAT model M 8.5" x 1.55" diameter receiver. For size, weight, strength and accuracy, I have yet to see anything that will perform with this receiver.

Only problem is they take a while to get in.

Kirby Allen(50)

If standard actions are to weak for the CheyTac. What actions do you use to make a rifle? Or does each action have to be custom made? I still like the idea of a .408 cheytac or wildcat based on it but I just need more information.
Just curious
Lucas
Check with Barney at Lawton Barrels he makes a action for the Chey-Tac case I have one on order for a 375/408 build.
Lawton Rifle Barrels~Home Page

Ken

what kind of brass prices can I expect to see and how many places can I even get it? Is it comparable to good 50BMG brass? $2rd. can I expect to get 5-6 shots out of each round?
thanks, What would a custom build cost a guy if the action alone is $800?

Lucas

I worked on a project a little with Chey Tac in 2005/2006.

It was a semi auto AR-10 looking Contraption that they contracted through Dakota Arms in Sturgis, SD.

Nesika is part of Dakota Arms. That is actually who I worked for.

Anyways, I've seen the ballistics charts and yada yada.

This cartridge is supposed to be Gods answer to small arms projectiles. Far exceeding the performance of the Big 50's.

Never fired a shot in one so I have no personal experience on performance. I left the company prior to the completion of the project.

A former employee did see this through up to the end and he reported very good accuracy. The gun was only shot at 100 yards though.

Personally, just go with either a 338 Lapua or a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum.

Much more affordable and Remingtons can be modified to fit them.

Good luck.

C~

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.