408 CheyTac die question?

Timber

Hey Everybody, I'm new to the forum.
So I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I'm looking for Dies for the 408 CheyTac. Does anyone here know where I can get a neck sizer? Or is this something you would make yourself? If so how hard is it? I've never done anything like that.

Also has anyone out there noticed the factory ammo for this round to vary up to 80 fps? Seems like with the expensive projectiles, it's a waste when the fps differs so much. It seems to be the only problem I can figure when I'm not connecting with longer shots.

Your best bet on the die is to contact Chey Tac, Kirby Allen, Dave Viers aka Black Diamond 408, Neil Jones, or any other competent metal worker to craft you a custom full length die. Lawton also makes them, but I have seen variations in tolerences from them.
My personal opinion is that a full length size die is the way to go with the .408 case be it .338, .375. or .408.

Forget the factory fodder, roll your own and you'll be way ahead of the game.

"My personal opinion is that a full length size die is the way to go with the .408 case be it .338, .375. or .408."

Thanks Joel. Why do you prefer the Full Length die's over Neck Sizer?

If all brass was created equal, you could possibly get away with neck sizing only.

My experience with the .408 case and the .408 case based wildcats is that if you neck size, you will only get 2-3 firings until you run into an extraction problem. Reason is the amount of pressure you are dealing with. These cases like to push the pressure envelope, and the brass is fair at best. If your load allows 2 thou or less on case expansion repeatedly, you could get away with neck size only. I highly doubt that you'll develope a load with that small amount of expansion.

The reason I full length size these cases, and all my stuff for that matter, is to uniform the outside dimensions of the case. I have found that neck sizing will cause irregularities in the case wall over time and will cause the case to seal differently in the chamber. This will cause different pressures, which will cause different velocities, which we all know is detrimental to accuracy. After all, we are on a quest for extreme accuracy over extreme distance.

The goal is to release that bullet before any part of the case comes in contact with the chamber wall.

I have had great success squeezing brass this way, especially in the .408 based wildcats.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.