.408 Chey Tac

greener280

Is there any way that you could fit a .408 Chey Tac into a remington 700 375 H&H action. Being able to feed a live round out of the action isn't a big deal to me; I would like to know if the action could handle the pressure and the barrel weight and also if the bolt face would be big enough.

Last edited:
Many gunsmiths and other knowledgable people feel that the 338-378 Wby is too much for the Remington 700. The Chey-Tac is bigger yet.
Hold a case up against the bolt snout of a 700. The Chey-Tac rim is not a lot smaller than the Rem bolt head.
BAT, Lawton and a few others make actions for the C-T.

Bad, bad, bad idea.

I've built a couple rifles on this cartridge and it is nothing to take lightly. You need a big action purpose built for boomer class cartridges.

I agree with others that you need a didicated action for this case. I am surprised however that BAT only uses a .717 bolt diameter for his action. I am sure it is beefed up in critcal areas, such as the lugs, but was somewhat suprised when I received mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.