408 Chey-Tac Imp

Mayhem338

After reading a lot of the info available on the various 408 based calibers, I have noticed no attempts at just improving the 408 itself. Is this mainly due to not much in the way of bullet selection? Is all the bad press that Chey-Tac brought on itself a real factor as well? With the real velocity gains that have been seen in 338 and 375, I would thing a 408 400gr at 3100 with a BC in the .9-.93 range might be impressive. Any thoughts?

Mayhem- I have wondered the same thing, as far as imporving the .408. I was also windering if anine has ever tried to improve the .408 and neck it down to .338. There are some .338's I found with a 1.4?? or so BC that only weigh 309 grains what would those do out of an improved .408 case as you were saying?!

Mayhem- I have wondered the same thing, as far as imporving the .408. I was also windering if anine has ever tried to improve the .408 and neck it down to .338. There are some .338's I found with a 1.4?? or so BC that only weigh 309 grains what would those do out of an improved .408 case as you were saying?!

Several
338 Allen Mag
Allen Magnum Wildcats

338-408 Big-Baer
Heavy Artillery — Russo Reveals the .338-408 'Big Baer' « Daily Bulletin

338 Snipe Tac
338 SnipeTac

All variations on the 408 case with suttle differences in total body taper and shoulder angle, all with one purpose in mind, burn MORE powder MORE efficiently!
And push heavier, high BC bullets faster and flatter.

Dave

I was just about to say that, that is a .338 Allen Magnum, after I looked around a little more.

Does anyone have any load data with some of the lathe turned solid bullets out there?

I was just about to say that, that is a .338 Allen Magnum, after I looked around a little more.

Does anyone have any load data with some of the lathe turned solid bullets out there?

Load data would be similiar to the standard match bullets. Of course, with the heavy lathe turned bullets, you have have a sharper twist barrel...but I have still been close to my data with the standard twist barrel and the match bullet.

Redneck climbing, there are no 338 bullets with a 1.4 BC. I reakon you may have seen something put out by GS customs. if you think there is an ounce of truth to this nonsense, I invite you to obtain a few of these and fire them then come bank and give us a range report.

Redneck climbing, there are no 338 bullets with a 1.4 BC. I reakon you may have seen something put out by GS customs. if you think there is an ounce of truth to this nonsense, I invite you to obtain a few of these and fire them then come bank and give us a range report.

You're right, they were from GS customs and the advertised B.C. was 1.2 something (don't remember off the top of my head). Anyways, do these not live up to the hype? Also, how do they do through the transonic range (transitioning from super to sub sonic)? Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
I don't know anyone that has tested the 309. There has been two tests that I know of that tested a 300 gr. One test was with an 8.5 twist and the other was with a 5.5 twist. The bullets hit the ground out of both barrels.

Top shot posted in the ELR forum a 416 that is currently built that pushes a 450 gr. g7 .43 @ 3100.Sound like a new contender

The 416 Barrett will do that as well just with a hot load. The brass for the Barrett is not that great, weight consistency is horrid and needs a bunch of prep time. I had started this topic to see if anyone had given it much thought. Making an improved 408 would be very easy just load and shoot.

After reading a lot of the info available on the various 408 based calibers, I have noticed no attempts at just improving the 408 itself. Is this mainly due to not much in the way of bullet selection? Is all the bad press that Chey-Tac brought on itself a real factor as well? With the real velocity gains that have been seen in 338 and 375, I would thing a 408 400gr at 3100 with a BC in the .9-.93 range might be impressive. Any thoughts?

Why does the the 408 CheyTac need to be improved?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what exactly is wrong with the 408 CheyTac to start with? I've seen it shoot well under one moa at a mile while retaining more energy than a 50 BMG. Unless you are just trying to make a good round better, why does the the 408 Cheytac need fixing?

THIS is a new design with bench rest quality,they say brass,made I think in SA, and a McMILLAN rifle.Check out post on ELR SECTION

I shot the .408CT in a Barker Machine Works rifle. Now against the 416 McMillan the difference was in the portability of the two systems.

The .408 came with a 28" rifle in a single shot configuration on an XLR stock. This rifle could be packed into some remote hunting areas if you wanted to. The .416 McMillan system on the other hand is what I would call a truck rifle! Bloody great ballistics but I would not like to cart it very far in the bush.

Now the thought of improving the standard .408 is interesting but due to the bore size to case capacity, I dont think you would gain much velocity in a 28" barrel? I could be wrong.

S5

There is nothing really wrong with the standard 408 CT. I was thinking if you are loading it anyway why not get the most out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.