404 yard HEAD SHOT with a .17 HMR

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by theosmithjr, Jun 11, 2019 at 10:58 AM.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. PApa Black

PApa Black Well-Known Member

Great post!!!!!!!

2. foul bore

foul bore Well-Known Member

One of my favorite things is shooting "dogs" super good shot, 300 is awesome 404 is unreal

3. Ingwe

Ingwe Well-Known Member

I love my 17HMR too. Killed high hundreds of prairie dogs with it, an Impala, Steenbok,monkey's, springhares, and rabbits with it in Africa too. Probably has over 1,ooo kills on it.

4. CUTTER1

CUTTER1 Well-Known Member

Until a month ago when I was helping some friends at one of their long range schools, I would have said BS to hitting a hog at 400+ but on of the guys had a new high dollar
    Anschutz in 17 HMR with a 4-16 Nightforce on it and 3 of us were taking turns hitting a 6" plate at 400yds with some tricky winds. was crazy because at 242yds it was going subsonic with virtually no change in trajectory unlike when we are shooting big bore CF
    and they go subsonic and become unpredictable. I'm still amazed by it.
    ive shot lots of pdogs with 17WSM and some with HMRs with about 250 are limit point.
    not much energy at 400 left in those little pills. still like a CF for dogs but man the last
    couple years we have gone to OR to shoot sage rats and they do great there too.

Ingwe and theosmithjr like this.
  5. remingtonman

remingtonman Well-Known Member

They do a 17wsm lol

6. Creedmoor shooter

Creedmoor shooter Well-Known Member

I guess if you like the bmag.

7. Marc Gauthier

Marc Gauthier Active Member

Bref, a 400 verges un calibre 17Hmr a la même énergie qu'une arme a air comprimé pour enfant. Quand on raconte une histoire, il est nécessaire de vérifier les tables de ballistique pour vérifier si c'est possible, peu probable, ou impossible. Mais j'aime les contes de chasse et de tir.

8. remingtonman

remingtonman Well-Known Member

Sorry can’t quite understand French lol

Ingwe likes this.
  9. Marc Gauthier

Marc Gauthier Active Member

In short, at 400 yards a 17Hmr caliber has the same energy as a child's air gun. When telling a story, it is necessary to check the ballistics tables to see if it is possible, unlikely, or impossible. But I like the tales of hunting and shooting.