400yd hunting scope $200-$300

hawk45

Will be going on a Tikka T3 Lite, want to keep the rig light, so want something 16 oz or less, preferably around 12 oz. Was thinking something maxing between 9 to 16x. VX-2 seems popular, but not sure if anything else comes close in that price range.

Thoughts?
Hawk

Nothing wrong with a VX2. You didn't mention what caliber, but if it was mine It'd be a 7-08 and I'd put the VX-2 Ultralight 3-9x33 on with the LR duplex reticle on it and go kill stuff. Problem there is it's above your $300 limit. The Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 is perfectly accepable as well.

Burris has some nice scopes for the money in my opinion. You could get one of their Fulfield models for less than the VX2 for less money and still have a nice scope that is still fairly light.

Check out the Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 and Redfield Revolution 4-12x40. My cousin has two Revenges, a 3-9x and a 6-18x and both are very clear and nice scopes. Vortex makes the Diamondback HP 3-12x42 and it looks like a very nice scope and I would recommend it as well.

I'm going to throw in this option:

This is a Minox 4.5-14X...open box for $189.99. I Purchased one for one of my rimfire rifles a couple of weeks ago......really impressed for $190 and side focus. Really accurate clicks, clear glass and not very heavy.

Minox - Camera Land NY

Otherwise...I've had really good luck with the Vortex Viper line....here's an open box 4-12x with side focus for $349:
Vortex - Camera Land NY

Good Luck,
Wayne

I'm going to throw in this option:

This is a Minox 4.5-14X...open box for $189.99. I Purchased one for one of my rimfire rifles a couple of weeks ago......really impressed for $190 and side focus. Really accurate clicks, clear glass and not very heavy.

Minox - Camera Land NY

Otherwise...I've had really good luck with the Vortex Viper line....here's an open box 4-12x with side focus for $349:
Vortex - Camera Land NY

Good Luck,
Wayne

I purchased the same scope but have not mounted it yet but I agree it looks very good.

Check out >>> Primary Arms 4-14 Review

Will be going on a Tikka T3 Lite, want to keep the rig light, so want something 16 oz or less, preferably around 12 oz. Was thinking something maxing between 9 to 16x. VX-2 seems popular, but not sure if anything else comes close in that price range.

Thoughts?
Hawk

Look at some of the Nikon brand scopes

I have to agree, all the optics listed are very nice for the money. Anyone of them whether it's a Vortex, Redfield, Nikon, Bushnell, Minox, Weaver, or Leupold will be an excellent scope for the money spent. Just look for a scope with finger adjustable turrets and turrets that are resetable to zero so you can make quick adjustments when making shots at longer ranges and resetting your scope to zero after initial sight in.

If you can get your hands on a leupold vx2 then I would suggest that. Also there are alot of older leupolds on EBAY fairly cheap that are undeniably tough and reliable scopes.

Another you might consider is the Bushnell Ultra HD series.

This is also a great recommendation. I have one, a 4.5-14 with mil-dot, and I like it a lot. Great glass for the dollars paid.

I didn't mention it as the Legend HD line is only average when it comes to weight and I'd look to keep it light if I can.

The 3-9x 40mm Legend HD is a nice scope, but a hair over a pound in weight. You can get it with the basic reticle for around $160. The DOA600 reticle will run you about $200.

If you don't want to spend over $200 I'd get a Fulfield II with the ballistic-plex and be happy. If you want to keep it way under $200 get the Legend or find a used Fulfield II. If you're patient you'll find one for under $150. The last Fulfield II that I purchased was lightly used and $125...and Burris has a great warranty.

I was in the same boat you were in last month.

I got lucky and snagged a leupold 3x9x40 off ebay brand new for $150. Had the custom shop install M1 turrets, now with leupold base and rings i am just over $300 for the total package.

very happy camper. I would stick with leupold 3x9,

Open box Minox and Meopta at NYCL are great bargains. Bushnell competes very well in all price points....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.