#4 or #5 barrel contour for 280AI???

Elkwonder

I am having a 280AI built and need to make up my mind in the next couple days as to which barrel contour I want. It will be a Montana Rifle Company Xtreme x2 chambered in 280AI. It will be used as my main do it all gun from antelope to Elk, and it will be carried from the plains of ND to the Mountains of Wyoming. I like to shoot my hunting rifle from the bench, so I can't stand small barrels that heat up too easy, but don't want to carry the weight of a Remington sendero either...lol
I have everything figured out all the way to the scope, but keep going back and forth between the two barrel contours. It will be fluted no matter which contour I pick, but I can't decide between the #4 or the #5 to save my life. Montana barrel contours are as follows
#4 .0650
#5 .0700

what would you chose?

I built my 280AI on a savage action last year, with a PacNor #6 fluted, 26 inches long. Rifle weighs 12 pounds unloaded, fantastic to shoot at the range, still no major burden in the hills. Retumbo and 168 Bergers give me 3015fps MV. Like you, I intended this to be my one-size-fits-all rifle. I like it so much I am doing another just like it again this year, that way I can shoot one till its hot, then shoot the other till it cools down...

Attachments

• Completion! 001.JPG
    Completion! 001.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 239
  • Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 235
Dang good looking stick!!! What is the muzzle diameter right behind the brake? BTW, thanks for the info

I had a 280AI built 7 years ago and have used it for everything. My son had one built a year after mine was up and running. Both rifles have #4 barrels finished at 25". I have packed mine over hell and back - mostly with a backpack and would not want anything heavier than the #4.

Both rifles have proven themselves many times over with the 168 Berger VLD's. My son took a coyote facing him, sitting on his haunches at 1010 yds so the #4 is plenty stiff IMO.

Im leaning hard towards the #4 and it sounds like you guys have shot the heck out of your 280's. The 280 definitely seems to be a very loved round from the guys that have owned them.

Im leaning hard towards the #4 and it sounds like you guys have shot the heck out of your 280's. The 280 definitely seems to be a very loved round from the guys that have owned them.

I have taken every big game animal that Montana has with the exception of moose (can't draw that tag to save my soul) with the 280AI and have never felt I needed anything more.

There may be equals to the 280AI in the non magnum calibers but there ain't any better.

Another thing I might suggest is: Put as much thought into your choice of a stock as you are in selecting a barrel.

280 Ackley on the right...Nosler rifle, magnum contour (.650" at the muzzle)...on the left is a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 270 Win.

.650" is plenty I believe...

not sure I chose correctly but I just changed a #5 out for a fluted #3bartlein . still at the smith though I guess I will see?? wanted a little better balance and less weight. #5 shot great maybe a little slow, but always trying something new to see if I am truly happy with what I have.:D

Hey Ridgerunner, I thought I may hear from you. I decided to of Montana rifle due to having hands the size of a little girls...lol
The Montana is MUCH thinner in the grip area than the Patriot. That custom Nosler you have is one fine fine fine looking rifle I must say. My mind is made up.... I am going to go with a #4 and have them flute it. I will top it off with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with ballistic turret and 4W reticle for wind holds. This should be about the perfect do it all gun for my style of hunting. Thanks guys

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts