4 gun centerfire battery, you pick them??

1. .22 Magnum Ruger 96/22 lever gun W/Green River octagonal barrel (accurate!)
2. Steyr AUG .223/5.56
3. 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger AmericanPredator W/Boyd's Classic stock & Timmy trigger
(very accurate!)
4. .308 Savage 99 lever action rifle
5. .300 Win. mag. Browning Stainless Stalker A-Bolt (also a tack driver W/ right load)

If that quiver won't handle them then they are too dangerous for me!

Eric B.

Let's see.... I have several rifles...

**22lr - two of them, an Anschutz and Colt ar-1522
22-250 #1 Ruger
223 - ar15 have not shot it in 3+ years
**6xc two of them, both single shot bolt actions 1,000 yard shooting
**6.5x284 - lefty
**270 WSM - WIN model 70 primary hunting rifle lefty
30-06 - '17 Enfield had it for 40+ years sporterized in the late '70's
**338 Win Mag Browing three lug lefty

** favorites

Let's see.... I have several rifles...

**22lr - two of them, an Anschutz and Colt ar-1522
22-250 #1 Ruger
223 - ar15 have not shot it in 3+ years
**6xc two of them, both single shot bolt actions 1,000 yard shooting
**6.5x284 - lefty
**270 WSM - WIN model 70 primary hunting rifle lefty
30-06 - '17 Enfield had it for 40+ years sporterized in the late '70's
**338 Win Mag Browing three lug lefty

** favorites
All great choices
Must be tough to be a lefty in our sport. Craig B has written about the difficulties for decades. Don't laugh...again...but I love my Model 88 in 284 Win. Prefect for you but I do limit mine to 350 yards

All great choices
Must be tough to be a lefty in our sport. Craig B has written about the difficulties for decades. Don't laugh...again...but I love my Model 88 in 284 Win. Prefect for you but I do limit mine to 350 yards
Yes lefty does limit choices. For me that has been relatively easy, another range volunteer in Cache Valley Utah is a lefty and sold me the 338 and 270WSM. He has more he would like to sell.... one is a beautiful lefty Weatherby 300 which is way to pretty to haul into the High Unita's were we hunt

Yes lefty does limit choices. For me that has been relatively easy, another range volunteer in Cache Valley Utah is a lefty and sold me the 338 and 270WSM. He has more he would like to sell.... one is a beautiful lefty Weatherby 300 which is way to pretty to haul into the High Unita's were we hunt
Ohhhh
When I was 13 I shot a left hand 340 Wby as a right hand shooter. It was a bit ruder than the right hand one I shot later. Never thought stock shape could be that different. We all know that now. Good fit and cheek weld makes so much difference.

BTW, 270 WSM and 338 WM are two of my favorite go to cartridges. Good luck, straight shooting, and the best BBQ's!

Sorry guys
I tend to get ADD and get off topic.
Let's pull this thread back to OP questions and opinions.

All great posts and experiences with a bit of humour. Let's get back on track.

So with the same sense of humour I will say my 4 favorite calibers are 4 of my 8 270's. Have to sell the other 4 then? The other cartridges will have to be sold?

Pick and choose the best 4 that work for your game, terrain and ranges. Shot placement with a premium bullet will make it a favorite.

To quote a new acquaintance, God Bless Our Choices...., oops I did not misspell the acronym

I think I posted this earlier in the wrong forum...

I am thinking about thinning the heard a little and going to a four gun battery. Kinda thinking I could cover the whole spectrum with the right four guns. Here are my thoughts, but was wondering what others would choose.

223 plinking
243 coyotes and such
280AI most everything from speed goats to elk
35 whelen elk, moose, and bear

lets here your thoughts on this and what changes you would make. Thanks
I would have a 300 Win Mag, a 300 Win Mag, a 300 Win Mag and a 300 Win Mag!!!
Change bullet weights for different applications & watch stuff die!
Thanks, Kirk

I would have a 300 Win Mag, a 300 Win Mag, a 300 Win Mag and a 300 Win Mag!!!
Change bullet weights for different applications & watch stuff die!
Thanks, Kirk
LOL!
That is why Rifle and ammunition manufactures hate guys like you.

Truth be known we could all get by with 1 270 or 1 30-06 for 99% of our needs. If you intentionally go after big bears or Africa, the 375HH has been around for 100 years to take care of that. We would buy 1 or 2 rifles and be done. The manufacurers would go out of business. They need new configurations and new cartridges so they can stay open.

Fortunately folks like those in this forum have pushed the envelope and in turn manufacturers have stept up to our desires and we are all better off for it.

One thing that surprises me though, for decades American shooters have ignored anything 6.5. I have been a fan of both 6.5 Rem Mag and 264 Win Mag (have each) since the 1960's and then got a custom 6.5-284 long before it became the Norma. In the past few years, it seems like everyone thinks anything 6.5 is a new invention and dozens of new designs and bullets. For decades the 6.5x55 has shot so many moose in Sweden. Us old and moldy guys sit back and smile and are pleased with the awakening.

Today's powders allow us to get performance never dreamed of just a few years ago from existing and new cartridges.

The great part of our passion is that we can "all be unique just like every one else" and tweak and tune till we get what is perfect for our individual hunting and shooting needs/desires. If I am hunting and it is a slow day for game, I always get a smile when I look down at whatever rifle I have set up for that particular hunt.

Long live the experimenters so we have lots to think about and discuss. How many hunting camp evenings have been spent debating on what is the ideal rifle/cartridge?

Back to the topic though, I load and shoot 43 different cartridges. But still my favorite are the 270, another 270...etc

Have confidence in your combo, place your shot well, and they will all perform!

12 Gauge

6mm most likely a .243 win

.308 cal 30-06 or 300 wm

.375 cheytac IMP

Keep it simple. Lots of posts have 22 cals and .24 cals in the same listing. Why? They are so close there is a wast of space if all you had was 4.

Covering targets and game from Squirrels to Elephants.....
noting that i really like my 308 win and 30 06 rifles; but gave them up since only 4 allowed, so here it is
22LR - edit... replace with 12 gauge
6.5 PRC
300 WBY Mag
416 Wby Mag for the 40 cal Dangerous Game minimum requirement.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.