4-16X44 or 6-24X50 Optic

LongWalker

Should have my 280AI barrel next week and I've decided on brand and model optic but I'm struggling with which power. It will be my primary hunting rifle and while I hope to spend more time out west (I have a cow Elk hunt next year) the majority of my hunts will be in the SE US.

I have a LR target rifle and can shoot out to 1250 yds but since we typically don't have western type winds to practice on my shot limit would be 800 with a low value wind.

As always appreciate the time and sage advice

Depends on lots of things, but I kinda like the 4-16x44 for a hunting rifle for say 500 yards and in. Especially where vast majority of the shots will be 300 and in. Plus where I expect to be carrying the rifle around a lot. Cheek weld is typically lower and better as well. Wouldn't bother with a 20 MOA rail either.

Thanks gents for the advice. That's the direction I was leaning and the cheek weld point helps as my plan was to put it in Talley lightweights.

I think I let the aim small miss small concept get too deep into my hunting thoughts. There's a difference between a 600 yard IBS target and a whitetail at 250 yards. Both can be precision shots but with the animal moving and the paper still a confident POA is probably more important that a very small one.

Just my thoughts which could be completely wrong

A 4-16 is plenty for shots.on game out to 1000+. I have a couple 3-15s on hunting rifles. Had one on my .280AI for a while.
I rarely hunt and dial up past 17-18x anyway, even on long hunting shots. Made 1st round hits on coyotes @ 1365 yards on 17x with no issues. Plus, the 4x low end gives a much needed wider FOV for those close or fast shots for target acquisition.

It depends on your intent....for instance, if pronghorn are one of your main hunts, then the 6-24 will be better suited. Pronghorn are about half the thickness through the brisket as an elk, and if your shots stretch out to 700, 800, 900 or farther....I can tel you from experience that even at 20x, that is a small target. If your mainly after elk, then the 4-16 is what I would choose. Deer can be eotger way, depending on where/how you hunt.

Here is my 12 year old daughter, shooting my .223 AR @ 850 with a 4-16×50. Went 8 for 10 on a 12" steel round plate. Not too shabby. Showing up most of the guys there too.

3 shots @ 921 w. a 3-15×50 scope on my .280AI. Never once felt underscoped.

Here is my 12 year old daughter, shooting my .223 AR @ 850 with a 4-16×50. Went 8 for 10 on a 12" steel round plate. Not too shabby. Showing up most of the guys there too.

3 shots @ 921 w. a 3-15×50 scope on my .280AI. Never once felt underscoped.

Wow, that's great validation. Awesome shooting and you must be a proud papa.

i prefer a 4-14x44. I was elk hunting yesterday and have a 4-14x44 mounted to my 338 LM. I was able to turn it down when I was in the timber. 2 weeks ago, I shot a doe in the prairie at 770 yards. It is good to have options. I'd like to have more high end power potentially, but I feel like the higher low end power is more of a necessity

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.