4-16x40 mm scope suggestions

hjl

I am looking into getting a new scope. I am a bit spoilt with leupold quality. What I am wanting is 4-16 x 40mm with a mil dot reticle. I prefer 40mm so scope can be mounted lower. Could live with 4.4-14 power. Looking for leupold quilty glass at a cheaper price. Yeah I know everyone is but any suggestions.
What are the ebay leupold clones like?
I will be putting it on a 7mm STW so I don't want to shake it to pieces.
Regards
hjl

Hjl,

Nikon 4.5x14x40 sf. Thats all you need to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Let me share a bit of real world events with you on this very subject AND scope .

A while back I wa s in the market for a scope tha t would do the job I wanted for my two youngest sons and at the same time my oldest son also wanted a scope for his wifes new rifle.
At this particular point in time a regular here ( Jerry Teo ) had posted about his exp with this scope and the performance of it in his opinion . Since I had come to value Jerry's opinion for a number of reasons I took the leap and purchased one for another friend that was having me redo his lifelong Sako . I was more than pleased and even though I had made the decision to buy the scope on what I considered solid positive exp. I was nevertheles suprised . very pleasantly suprised .

This scope was brighter by a significant factor than the closest comparable priced Leupold ( which was still more expensive ) and offered featyures that the Leupold doesn't have ( finger adjustable turrets WITH rev counter .

It also passed the other important tests , box and parallax adjustments . I realize that I am utilizing " shorthand " in a manner of speaking but if you typed as poorly and as slow as I do .............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Yesterday my oldest son came by the house to pick up his son after work . He said " Dad , guess what Uncle Robert did ? " ( my brother ) What son ? I replied .

Well,he said, He looked through my Nikon at work and then through his Leupold after and then went out and bought two of the Nikons and put them on his 300 winnie and 243 ( my family loves those calibers ) then he said he was gonna put the Leupolds on his muzzleloaders !!

For the lower end of scopes I have changed to Nikon vs Leupold . For the higher end of scopes I am ( hang in there Bill Bailey , I'm gonna !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) going to Nightforce for reasons that parallel this exp with Nikon .

I have nothing to gain by this post and the fact is I have a lot to lose as I now have to changeover my scopes to the NF NXS , line , I'll leave the Nikons to my sons as they ar e at a point in life that priorities are NOT SCOPES /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But , if the Nightforce were beyond me financially It would be Nikon as they are bright enough for my aging eyes .

I hope this longwinded post is of some value . I am saddened that Leupold has let their product be overtaken and so easily by products costing less ( referring to the Nikon here , I wish that Leupold offeresd something comparable to then Night force line as I think the Leupold products are more tastefully designe d . I realize that many and even maybe most may say " who gives a flip about the appearance" Thats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif but I do .

Jim B

JimM,
If you are not in a hurry wait till after the SHOT show in early Jan. There are some new scopes coming that will interest you. Enjoyed reading your real world report on scopes.

jimm,
Thanks for the reply.
Does the nikon have a mil dot reticle?
Does it use 1/4 clicks? Good to see they are finger adjustable.
How much do they cost?
I haven't seen a nikon scope anywhere here in Australia but I guess they are here somewhere.
I have a 8-32 x 56 nightforce & set on 20x I don't think it is clearer than my 6.5 -20 leupold set on 20x. Just my eyes I guess.
Regards
hjl

ive got a burris 4.5-14 and its got real good quality and pretty cheap too. I havnt had any issues with it either and ive got the ballistic plex on it. you should chk that out also, i found it on ebay for 220 i think...if i remember right.

Not really any cheaper than a Leupold VX 111 but better in my opinion are the Meopta Meostar R1 scopes . I'm gradually swapping out Leupolds for Meoptas . They do a nice 4 - 16 x 44 with mil dot and 30mm tube . Readily available in Oz too . Also do a similar Artemis 3000 which is a little cheaper than the Meostar .

Ian M,

I thought I picked up on the upcoming Leupold products from you in another post.

Thanks for the headsup . I really hope they get it together . Thinking about attending the show myself along with my partner Scott Smith ( Smith & Brown , Long Range Hunting Equipment )

Now , if Leica or Swaro or Zeiss would make a BRF that is 10 /15 x50 or 12 /18 x50 ( as in DUOVID ) Man o man , have to mortgage the Missus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

Well Im the new guy but last year I bought a Leapold
4-12x50 Well ILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER! I have 4 Nikon buckmaster series scopes different shapes and sizes the leapold comes close to NONE of them in low light the 3x9x40's blow it away!

Zeiss Ive never owned personally but friend just bought a 4x14x50 Conquest finger turrerts side parallax $700 looking like Im gonna have to try one. Kinda neat I get to play with his a lil before I cough up the money but Sorry nightforce but $1200 - $700 = a rebarreled 7 mag. maybe one day!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.