$4,000 budget

• Bighorn Origin action (lowest cost of the custom actions that I know of at around $825 for SA)
  • Shouldered prefit barrel from a reputable gunsmith (3 best pricing wise I've seen are PVA, Preferred Barrel Blanks and Keystone) so you don't have to deal with headspacing with a barrel nut, just need an action wrench, torque wrench and barrel vice.
  • Bell and Carlson stock or a Grayboe stock with the M5 bottom metal combo they offer (sometimes you can get the combo for like $360 depending on sales).
  • Quality used scope, or else a new what I call "high value scope". The higher end Athlons, Vortexs and Sightrons (probably others) all are really nice considering the price tag against a Schmidt or a Nightforce etc. I personally prefer Sightron over Vortex but Vortex is way more popular, good support from both.
  • Previous year model or lower model or used Leica rangefinder (can get the CRF-2400 for like $550 new). Don't worry about getting one with the ballistics engine built in, I think you'll find you don't use it unless it's one of the custom programmable ones. Even then if you're shooting 1k yards and beyond you're probably using a ballistic app anyways.
  • Quality rings, I like Seekins rings and they are a value ring in my mind. $120 and they're awesome, there are more expensive rings out there for sure, but it's hard to imagine any better quality. Seekins rings also have a very sleek design that I love, keeps them from snagging on stuff as it doesn't have a big hex sticking out.
  • Trigger, since Origin is an R700 clone there are a LOT of options. Timney is a low cost option. Much nicer (IMO) options if you're willing to get into the $200 range.
  • Scope bubble level, pick one
  • Ballistics app, 4dof is free.
You'd be able to be in the $3500-$4k range with all that. Don't forget ammo, need more for dies and components. I like Redding FL bushing dies and Forster bench rest seater dies, just my preferences, several good options.

Others have mentioned a few of them, but with the PRS making the production class, many rifle builders went to work building a rifle that would be super high quality yet right under $2k. There are lots of these out there, so you could start with that, then buy a scope and rings and rangefinder. You'd probably end up about the same or slightly higher cost than what I laid out above, and have less options on your chamber, but it would probably come together quicker, maybe.

Shouldered prefits are becoming much more readily available, and I think that's a fantastic thing. I'd really lean towards one of the custom actions just to make sure I could get a shouldered prefit and to ensure when I was ready to change barrels I could get another. You won't have that ability with Tikka, R700 and other mass produced actions. Something to think about. Good luck and have fun!

Dogz , thanks for the questions.
Currently I have a Tikka t3 308 with a Swarovski scope...Brought it to gunsmith and he added a break and put some weight in the stock. I bought this gun for my son, who was 9 at the time so I could spend time with him in the woods.
Its super accurate out to 170 yds.. that is as far as it has been shot. It's a half inch all day anywhere near 100yds.
He hunts hogs, axis, whitetail. I take it out occasionally and will take a few hogs...
I am like an infant on this site as far as knowledge goes but been trying to learn for about a year...
My question was not to mean I have a $4,000 budget for a gun. I am just asking questions hoping to learn and maybe get some feedback for research purposes...
I have been looking at long range guns, scopes and range finders but most searches pull same ole content. I opened this question hoping for feedback so I can get some ideas and research them. There is a ton knowledge and experience on this site.. I hope to purchase a few rifles on this site before starting to build a few .
Anyways
Thanks for the question .
JAW

So much good info here.
As with so many of these "what should I do" posts, they start lots of posts but provide little useful information.

The OP tossed out a number and nothing else.

where ya gonna hunt ?
what ya gonna hunt ?
recoil an issue ?
maximum anticipated range ? and so on.

The OP is in LA (the state). Most hunters there would be fine with a 336 in 35 Rem and a 1-4X scope.

You are correct and make good points.
Louisiana is where I live but not where I want to hunt. No real long range hunts anywhere in this state.
I am now 47 years old my kids are growing up and I am seeing the pattern of them wanting to be with their friends. I left this open ended just to stimulate conversation. I want to buy a rifle and learn about long distance shooting. I hope to take trips as I learn and hunt Elk, Stag, Whitetail and so on. I have never had a hobby outside of work and raising kids. The one memory I have as a child that was good was hunting with my dad.. I want to get back in the woods, ranges, forums, rifles, scopes and so on becuase it's a place that gets me out of the grind and into a place a really would rather be... dunno if this was an explanation for my question or a rant but it's only meant to help an open ended question.
I seriously appreicate ALL the responses..
JAW

Forgot about the 5R!! Great choice!

Yeah I took a chance and bought 2 in mid December. My FFL friend had a CRAZY deal on 5R's, so basically got two for the price of one. I picked up the 20" .308 and 24" 6.5CM.. I've only put 30 rounds down the .308 tube. A handful of Fed match to break in and sight in and then started my load development. My second set of 5 rounds? Bughole at 120yds.
Totally bone stock including the crap-tastic lawyer trigger.

You can catch these on fantastic sales every once in a while. Found a 'nused' Luepold VX3i 4.5-14x40mm for cheap, Seekins rail and rings I'm still under $1,000 on just the .308. I put a SWFS fixed 10 on the 6.5CM, same rail and rings and again- south of $1,000.

7c6RIuy.jpg

Then were I you, I'd buy a medium heavy 6.5 CM with a quality 4-12 sope and get comfortable shooting out to 600 yards.

You don't need the expense, noise, blast and recoil of some huge magnum to get experience.

Everything you need to learn can be acquired with a rig like that.

FYI 99% of Western big game is killed under 300 yards.

My advice - take a hammer to the kids cell phones.

Sounds like you are more hunter than hardcore longrange/tactical. I would allocate about $2k for scope/rings/bases (swaro Z6 or Leupold VX6), about $1500 for rifle and rest for range finder and misc.. Don't overlook the remington custom shop guns. I recently picked up a new stainless mountain rifle in .3006 that shoots as well as any of my full customs out to 500yds. It's nice and lightweight, weatherproof and quick pointing. Cooper, Weatherby and CZ are also making some nice rigs. The nice thing about a remington 700 is you can always incrementally customize it.

Then were I you, I'd buy a medium heavy 6.5 CM with a quality 4-12 sope and get comfortable shooting out to 600 yards.

You don't need the expense, noise, blast and recoil of some huge magnum to get experience.

Everything you need to learn can be acquired with a rig like that.

FYI 99% of Western big game is killed under 300 yards.

My advice - take a hammer to the kids cell phones.

Darn good words...........except my G-Kids would hide the hammer:)

Side note for Jaw, you can easily make some very friendly load for your 9 year old via a 125 grain bullet and a reduced load of H4895. My G-kids can shoot that load all afternoon, the load I'm using runs about 2600 or so and it's just a doink for them...Fact is I mad a CDS dial for it for myself as I'm getting older and disliking recoil more and more.

Side note, take the kid to Texas to hunt Black Buck next spring break.

Will look them up.. thxs
For what it's worth... I've got a Custom 28 Nosler coming from one of the best smith's (IMO) in Montana in the next month or 2. I'm fairly certain I'm not going to keep it for prioritization purposes. Will probably be a pretty good buy.
.25 moa on my last custom from this guy.
50F61E45-5D9A-4721-9735-EFBE92B7C8C6.jpeg

If buying an off the shelf rifle, I'd probably by a Seekins Havak and a Leupold VX5. Or the Nightforce because I've always wanted to see what the fuss is all about. But that's not my style, I like to do things on the cheap even when I don't necessarily need to.

I'd follow what's worked for me.. used Savage 10/110 action, Shilen match barrel, and B&C stock (usually about $1,200 total). I really like my VX3i for hunting and PST Gen 2 for long range. Id save the rest for ammo and eventually convince myself to buy a chassis system to try.

My friend told me, "You're an enigma. You chase the smallest groups you can get, yet always talk about how you buy used and on sale. Why don't you just buy something nice?" I said "because seeing how cheaply I can do something is half the fun and because I love outshooting people when they get big headed over their high dollar equipment." I'm not saying Im always successful, but its fun when I do. Lol, to each their own I guess :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts