$4,000 budget

Hmmmm, $4,000 can go pretty quick between rifle, scope, and rangefinder, but I'll try to spend your money:

Bighorn Origin = $825
Bartlein/Benchmark/Other = $325
TT Primary Trigger = $125
KRG Bravo = $350
Chamber Barrel & Thread Muzzle = $450
Seekins Precision Rings = $130
Badger Ordnance Rail = $130
NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 = $1,064
Atlas Gen2 Tall CAL Bipod = $260
Sig Kilo 3000BDX $925
Magpul MS1 Sling = $70

Total = $4,650

You could save $500 and get a leica handheld LRF in lieu of the Sig Bino LRF. You can also find 10% off codes pretty easy to cut down on cost of rifle components. OR you could buy a generic rifle and a better scope.

I like this list, it's basically my next build. Buy a prefit and barrel nut and screw this all together yourself. Gets you a little closer to your budget. I'll spend a few more $S and get the 2# TT trigger.

Another vote for something like the Havoc. I have had two (and one more on order). All shot very well.

Havak
Vortex LHT
Rings
Vortex LR 10 x 42's

Hope well and you could end up around 3200 or so for this package and have a heck of a bunch of great equipment!

I'd have strait jacket build me a barreled action and then throw it into a $500 stock of your choice. Put on a 1k scope. Probably a PST gen 2 and buy a $500 rangefinder.

As with so many of these "what should I do" posts, they start lots of posts but provide little useful information.

The OP tossed out a number and nothing else.

where ya gonna hunt ?
what ya gonna hunt ?
recoil an issue ?
maximum anticipated range ? and so on.

The OP is in LA (the state). Most hunters there would be fine with a 336 in 35 Rem and a 1-4X scope.

I think you could get a complete setup from Fierce Firearms for that. I have a 7 mag with a Zeiss V4 6-24 that I absolutely love as a do all rifle from whitetail to moose. Half MOA guarantee with a custom turret verified out to 1000 yards. I got my setup well under $4k as they were running a special on 7 mags. Shoots lights out.

i'd buy a blue printed action from somewhere, a good prefit, some sort of chasis stock and assemble it all myself. you could probably do that for around $1500-$2k, especially if you find a good deal on a used stock. then i'd use the rest on scope/rings/mount and RF. again, finding used on here where i could to save money. also check for sales as fathers day and the 4th are coming up.

i've had good luck getting stuff at our cabelas. about 5 years ago, i got a vortex PST for $250 from them and a couple years ago they had a sig kilo 1600 for a little under $200.

JawBone come on back and let us know some particulars that a few of us have asked for.

While this is kind of fun for us to come up with ways to spend your moolah it would be helpful to know what you hunt on a yearly basis, to what ranges you've been kill game at, to what ranges you consistently practice to etc.........other wise it's just a guessing game as to what would actually be beneficial to you.

This is kind of like saying, I have X amount of money and need to buy a vehicle. Darn hard to answer effectively without know what the rigs going to be used for:)

So fill in some blanks for us please

Alright I'll take a stab at this.
For the rifle, buy a Tikka T3x long action magnum bolt stainless ~$800
Buy a McGowan Prefit Barrel in one of the WSM's/Saum's/6.5 PRC. These barrels are shouldered and don't require a nut ~$350-400
Mesa/ AG Composites Stock ~$600
Mountain Tactical Bottom Metal and WSM Mag ~$150
Talley Rings ~$50
M Carbo Trigger Spring ~$10
Total ~ $2010

Scope- look at Leupold VX 5, Vortex Razor LHT, Zeiss V4, or Trijicon Accupoint/ Credo. All can be had in the 3-15 or 4-16 zoom around $800-$1000 and range from 19-23oz.

Range Finder go with the Sig Kilo 3000 Rangefinding 10x42 Binoculars. I've seen demo units on sale at europtic for $899 recently. Or save some money and buy a Kilo 2200 for $400 if you already have good Binos.

Side bar: If you happen to be left eye dominant, don't buy rangefinging binoculars as the readout is in the right eye and makes it impossible to focus on the readout and target simultaneously.

These options would give you a great all around setup for just over your $4000 budget by the time you add in tax/shipping.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.