$4,000 budget

Jawbone

If you had a $4,000 budget for a rifle, scope, range finder to hunt and enjoy, what are you buying?
What the best utilization of your money?
Jaw

Building a 300 WM now and after scrounging around for parts and gunsmithing it will be around $3500 for the rifle. That was with the parts I wanted, yours could vary. Glass is a different story, you get what pay for and what fits your desire.

If I was just looking to buy turnkey...this might be hard to pass up...

If you had a $4,000 budget for a rifle, scope, range finder to hunt and enjoy, what are you buying?
Jaw

Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! This is a loaded question and will vary significantly from end-users. Since I got the hunting equipment covered, I am looking at e-bikes.

Thank you for the replys... I joined to learn and always learned by asking questions and listening.
It is a very opened ended question but each response gives me some info to go back and research. Many thanks.
Jaw

For $4k, I would be on the hunt for a lightly used custom or semi-custom, used high end optic, used LRF.

Probably a rifle built off a trued R700 action, steel barrel, composite stock, fairly basic, around $1700-1800. Something in a medium/big 6.5mm, 7mm or .30. 6.5PRC, 6.5SAUM, .264WM, 7SAUM, .280AI, 7RM, .300WM, etc.

High end used scope with your preferences. $1800-2100. Swarovski, top end Vortex or Leupold, Premier, S&B, etc.

Used LRF $200-300. Leica 1600B maybe.

Last edited:
Just bought a new toy, weatherby accumark with Zeiss victory 3-12x56 with Talley rings Came in right under $4k. Not a custom rifle but it shoots clover leafs at 200 yards. I think out of the box and in left hand action I'm seeing results comparable to some of my custom rigs. Nice solid setup with top notch glass. I got the scope as a demo for $1700, rifle was 1700 after transfer fees and rings and sling plus taxes for just under $4k. I think you could do that with a browning x bolt, or a custom 700, I went with weatherby because I wanted to have the 6.5-300 and left hand so weatherby made sense. Triggers on weatherby and browning are nice out of box. Hard to beat Zeiss

If you are a do it yourself guy. Bighorn origin - $825
Triggertech trigger- $170. Shouldered barrel steel-$700. AG composite stock-$580. Hawkins bottom metal-$170 = $2445 + vortex 3-15 lht $1000= $3445. Leaves $550 for tax, shipping and action and barrel wrench

Hmmmm, $4,000 can go pretty quick between rifle, scope, and rangefinder, but I'll try to spend your money:

Bighorn Origin = $825
Bartlein/Benchmark/Other = $325
TT Primary Trigger = $125
KRG Bravo = $350
Chamber Barrel & Thread Muzzle = $450
Seekins Precision Rings = $130
Badger Ordnance Rail = $130
NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 = $1,064
Atlas Gen2 Tall CAL Bipod = $260
Sig Kilo 3000BDX $925
Magpul MS1 Sling = $70

Total = $4,650

You could save $500 and get a leica handheld LRF in lieu of the Sig Bino LRF. You can also find 10% off codes pretty easy to cut down on cost of rifle components. OR you could buy a generic rifle and a better scope.

Jaw

A couple questions first if you don't mind. What do you have for guns that you use the most now, what game do you hunt on a yearly basis and to date how far have you been taking big game

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.