3L hydration bladder

SO92

Looking for recommendations on a top quality 3 L hydration bladder to fit in my Metcalf.

I've always used filtration bottles as my goto water source on hikes and hunts but I want to move towards a bladder config to allow more storage for longer hunts.

Lots of good reviews on the web along with equal negative reviews. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I've been looking at Platypus and Osprey lately but not sold on some of the negative reviews. I realize reviews aren't always the gospel but looking for some real life experience.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I use the Platypus Big Zip LP 3L in a Mystery Ranch Pintler. Works awesome. Is pretty slim, is really durable and has a great mouth piece.

Steve

I gave away trying to find a bladder that didnt taint the taste of water.

I hate the taste of it so now just carry bottles of filtered water.

Mind you I havent tried to fashion a tube to bottle connection but it could be an option for me?

In saying that I dont do a hell of a lot of hiking these days so the need isnt there.

Couple things to think about (just my thoughts anyway).

Any water storage has the chance to leak from numerous causes. Water is hard to contain.

Reviews on a lot of things can be deceptive, care and how things are used have a huge impact.

Most people complaint about negatives and keep positives quiet.

I am by no means saying they are the best. For day trips, water bottles work great,just collapse the air our to conserve space when gone. I just find myself taking less breaks to drink water when I have to dig in my pack a bunch throughout the day.

Steve

I like Eberlestock. But, I have a G3 Phantom pack and can balance 2 100oz (6 liters total) bladders nicely. I find their products excellent albeit expensive. I offset the extra weight (13lbs loaded) by rehydrating freeze dried foods or not filling completely, but equally. If I know there is water, I fill less and use filtration as well.

Bought the Platypus 3L. So far it holds up and works great. Will update after the true test on the hunt in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the input.

Another plus for platupus 3L. Use a caribener clip to hang from my 22mag gen 2. Still has a bit of plastic taste. But not too bad.

This is what I use, and what I mean I use, I mean I have and dont use much. People cut pack weight one way or another. Sometimes my treated water will go into the bladder once in awhile, but I don't start any trails with one.

It's tough, just connect everything properly and check it sometimes. And as a general rule when traveling up in high country, don't have it filled and sealed unless you like your pack wet on the way up. The bladder won't pop, but the hose will where it connects can.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5E9Q3M/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I use a 3L platypus with the spout at a 45* angle on the corner and like it a lot. I was going to go to the ziplock style to more easily get water from streams but didn't like having to pull the bladder out of my pack. What I did was to cut the hose about 6-8" above the height of my bladder and put a connector set in. Now I use the ziplock-style as a dirty water bag, connect my Sawyer in between that and my linkage to my bladder in my pack and have the best of both worlds. When the bladder in my pack is full I reattach my hose to the connector and roll on. Went this way after 2 weeks at Philmont wrestling my bladder in and out of a full pack a couple times a day. This approach fixes the biggest PITA's about using bladders. I've had mine for a couple years (probably 8ish) and I don't remember them tasting like plastic after a couple months. I always hang them upside down and open and wash out right before a trip.

I have used the bladders forever(before they had the spouts, bota bag style)) because they compress when empty and can mold to the shape of your pack. They have evolved over the years and consensus has most with a big screw on cap for easy fill and drying. I prefer one that I can take the drinking spout off and use a cap for filling pots and pans around camp as a community source. Depending on water availability I also keep a smaller 16-32oz bottle in my pack as a backup in case the bladder leaks or I drink it all, you can't see the bladder so you never know when you're going to run out. If in cold weather the drinking hose will freeze and limit access to the main supply.

Last edited:
If you can find a msr hydromedary you will love it. It was discontinued a year or two back but it is the best I have ever tried. No bad taste and super durable. May hit one here or there on ebay perhaps. Also another option would be a dromlite bag with adaptor tube to make it a hydration bladder.

I've used Camelback and Platypus for years and years- no complaints at all. I use them all the time in my hunting and day packs. I think my first big Platypus was when I hiked Philmont NM and the Spanish Peaks back in '99. My pack was an ArcTeryx model that wasn't even 'bladder ready' and I made it work. I still have that bladder and it works fine. I also have a couple of MSR Dromedary bags that can be converted to bladders. I still have Nalgenes that are almost 30 years old.

About 8 year ago the Boy Scout troop I was with had some dromedary bags with built in filtration- You hung the bag, poured stream water in and it filtered into Nalgene's. That was slick. I hate pumping water by hand, lol.

My male GSP carries his own **** water in a dromedary or Nalgenes in his own pack.

wnqBg7Z.jpg

There are so many good options.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.