375h&h

Thanks David! I started thinking about this conversation. The topic being, Caliber choice and rifle recoil. I don't think recoil will be an issue, but as a shotgunner, you may not be intimately familiar with rifle scopes.

These are some of my opinions. Don't skimp on the scope, you don't need to spend a fortune....but think quality. The scope must handle the recoil, "AND" have good eye relief ( for the additional recoil). As the H&H is to be used primarily on large game and at distances of less than 500 yards, 8 or 9 power on the upper end is "plenty" adequate. We used the Leupold Vari X lll ( now VX 3, I think) 2.5- 8, for over 20 years with zero failures. There are several others out there in similar price ranges that offer similar quality. As the rifle may be used for some close-up work, low power ( 2 or less) can be very important.

Also, consider buying used....you can save a bunch. If (unlikely) the scope has an internal issue, most top manufacturers have a lifetime warranty.....merely return it for repairs! It will be an aggravation, inconvenience, plus a few bucks for shipping... but you saved up-front! There is a classified section, right here on this site, and on other hunting/shooting websites!

On rifles,take a look at the Kimber Talkeetna. It's rather expensive, but has many real nice features and is relatively lightweight. There will be a little added recoil, but the lighter weight, will be a "huge" benefit while carrying! You'll likely carry it much more than you shoot it, while hunting. The Talkeetna almost mirrors my AI, I had built in '89. If I were shopping today for myself (and the money wasn't an issue), I would seriously consider the Talkeetna. Then I'd hire a reputable gunsmith to make it an AI (or .375 Weatherby) and make it into a 700 yard (or more) capable rifle. Of course, this is practical, "only" if you handload!

In rereading, this entire topic, I noticed that you asked me if it can be used for elk! I have used the .375 exclusively since the early '80's and my AI since it's build in '89. It is my "only" hunting rifle. It is used on all of my big game ( antelope/ Whitetail up to moose bison). It even goes coyote hunting occasionally!

On bullet selection and zero range. I use one bullet, one powder charge, and one zero! I "only" have one set of trajectory numbers to memorize. If you use the rifle enough, it become a reflex action.....not a thought process. On of the benefits of using one rifle, bullet, zero.....exclusively! My zero varies from most! As most of our shots are in open country.....we use a 300 yard zero. You "hold on hair" from zero to 400 yards. You "must" remember, to hold a bit low (that reflex thing mentioned) that at around 170ish yards you will be at maximum trajectory and could shoot over small game (coyotes, etc)....as your bullet will be around 6 inches above line-of-sight. You will be approximately 10" to 11" low at 400 yards. Again compensate (by holding a bit high), but you're still "holding on hair"....in case of a incorrect range estimate or some shooter error. If the rifle we're to be used "only" for close range shooting (bears in brush, etc)....I would likely e use a 100 yard zero, and learn my drop out to 250 or 300 yards. The 100 yard zero may help you "thread" a bullet through brush/limbs for those shots in those situations!

All the Best, in your decisions! memtb

Last edited:
Thanks David! I started thinking about this conversation. The topic being, Caliber choice and rifle recoil. I don't think recoil will be an issue, but as a shotgunner, you may not be intimately familiar with rifle scopes.

These are some of my opinions. Don't skimp on the scope, you don't need to spend a fortune....but think quality. The scope must handle the recoil, "AND" have good eye relief ( for the additional recoil). As the H&H is to be used primarily on large game and at distances of less than 500 yards, 8 or 9 power on the upper end is "plenty" adequate. We used the Leupold Vari X lll ( now VX 3, I think) 2.5- 8, for over 20 years with zero failures. There are several others out there in similar price ranges that offer similar quality. As the rifle may be used for some close-up work, low power ( 2 or less) can be very important.

Also, consider buying used....you can save a bunch. If (unlikely) the scope has an internal issue, most top manufacturers have a lifetime warranty.....merely return it for repairs! It will be an aggravation, inconvenience, plus a few bucks for shipping... but you saved up-front! There is a classified section, right here on this site, and on other hunting/shooting websites!

On rifles,take a look at the Kimber Talkeetna. It's rather expensive, but has many real nice features and is relatively lightweight. There will be a little added recoil, but the lighter weight, will be a "huge" benefit while carrying! You'll likely carry it much more than you shoot it, while hunting. The Talkeetna almost mirrors my AI, I had built in '89. If I were shopping today for myself (and the money wasn't an issue), I would seriously consider the Talkeetna. Then I'd hire a reputable gunsmith to make it an AI (or .375 Weatherby) and make it into a 700 yard (or more) capable rifle. Of course, this is practical, "only" if you handload!

In rereading, this entire topic, I noticed that you asked me if it can be used for elk! I have used the .375 exclusively since the early '80's and my AI since it's build in '89. It is my "only" hunting rifle. It is used on all of my big game ( antelope/ Whitetail up to moose bison). It even goes coyote hunting occasionally!

On bullet selection and zero range. I use one bullet, one powder charge, and one zero! I "only" have one set of trajectory numbers to memorize. If you use the rifle enough, it become a reflex action.....not a thought process. On of the benefits of using one rifle, bullet, zero.....exclusively! My zero varies from most! As most of our shots are in open country.....we use a 300 yard zero. You "hold on hair" from zero to 400 yards. You "must" remember, to hold a bit low (that reflex thing mentioned) that at around 170ish yards you will be at maximum trajectory and could shoot over small game (coyotes, etc)....as your bullet will be around 6 inches above line-of-sight. You will be approximately 10" to 11" low at 400 yards. Again compensate (by holding a bit high), but you're still "holding on hair"....in case of a incorrect range estimate or some shooter error. If the rifle we're to be used "only" for close range shooting (bears in brush, etc)....I would likely e use a 100 yard zero, and learn my drop out to 250 or 300 yards. The 100 yard zero may help you "thread" a bullet through brush/limbs for those shots in those situations!

All the Best, in your decisions! memtb

Thanks memtb,
I always enjoy reading your responses, you have tons of experience and information. I will look back and see if I can find the rifle that was listed. I know that it was a custom built light weight, the seller said a new one be north of $4000, without scope. I like your choice on scopes it is exactly what one of the guides recommended. I would love to have one quality rifle that would be capable of shooting multiple species. Again thanks for all of your help and I will try and find the sellers name and rifle to get your opinion.
David

David, Peterson's Hunting ( last month, I think), had a pretty decent article on it. Lists at around $2500, likely you can get one for less! Again, good luck! memtb

Hello I am 59 and am going to start getting some of my bucket list completed. My first is a coastal Brown Bear hunt in Sitka Alaska or a grizzly bear hunt by Dennall. The guides that I have been in contact with recommend a 375hH magnum. I will be going in 2020 or 2021. Any suggestions on the rifle and scope that I should be looking at. They told me shots could range from 1-250 yards.
Thanks,
David Zimprich
You won't notice the difference between the H&H and Ruger recoil wise.

How much recoil you have to deal with depends on several factors starting with bullet weight and whether or not you put a brake on it. I have a very good brake from NWP on the Ruger which tamed it to the point of being a real pleasure to shoot.

My M70 Custom I was going to put a brake on but as yet have not. You won't enjoy putting fifty rounds through it at the range in a couple of hours but unless you're particularly recoil sensitive you'll never notice it in the field.

I put the Limbsaver's African Magnum recoil pad on the M70 custom which is a very light rifle for one of this caliber and so far I just keep on shooting it and enjoying the heck out of it.

Compared to my other magnums it's probably comparable to the 300 Rum M70 shooting the 200-220gr bullets. It's slower and less sharp though like most medium bores being more of a big shove than a sharp whack.

Honestly I bougt the first one just for a trip to African and never thought I'd end up enjoying it as much as I have or that it would be a rifle I regularly pick up to hunt deer and hogs when I have twenty smaller rifles laying around that are in calibers much more commonly thought of as "deer rifles" from .260 Rem to 7mm STW, .300's both WM and RUM.

I"m not all that tough either but I've really enjoyed the .375 Ruger in all three platforms.

Personally I prefer the Peregrine VLR's particularly the 250gr and 270gr for my application but for your hunt I'd suggest the .300gr.

They are the most reliable bullet I've ever shot. No matter what you hit you get consistent and very controlled expansion every time at any practical velocity. I got introduced to them while in South Africa and having tried just bout everything else in the bullet world over the years they have become my absolute favorite.

If you want some I can aggrange it, I have I think 100 or 200 of the 300gr laying around and probably a hundred of the 230gr which are just fantastic for deer, hogs, elk, or just about anything else you'd want to shoot out as far as 400-600yds.

For your hunt though I think I'd stick with the .300gr.
You should talk to this gentleman before you make a decision about guide services.
http://jimriverguideservice.com/

Thanks for sending me the information for Brown Bear hunting. Have you been on this hunt? The owner sounds like a great guy, with lots of success. I will be getting a hold of him.
Thanks again,
David

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.