.375 WSM

csmith86

Hey guys, I need your help! I can score a Savage model 14 in .325 WSM for a pretty **** good price. With that being said, I want to build a .375 WSM on it and I need to find a barrel. Any suggestions on where I might find one?
Thanks,
Clint

I'm in the process of building a 375 saum right now with a 22 inch fluted sendero contour ER Shaw barrel on it. I've read mixed reviews for them but for what I'm looking to do with it ( mostly brush black bear rifle with maybe 300 yard max) it's hard to beat the price. Not sure if it helps but I think it would be worth looking into them.

Another option is the 338SS which will have brass this summer. It is a Saum parent only it will be a true short action. We have 2 chambered up now and more coming. It will have a coal, with the LONG
250 Berger, of 2.970", to the lands. We fully expect to run the 250's OVER 2800 based on my earlier results with this case. Check out shermanwildcatcartridges.com for more info.....rich

Pac-Nor has a 375/300 wsm chambered barrel, I'd suggest a 1-10 or the poly twist I'm doing one on an AR-10 platform.

I want to build a .375 WSM on it and I need to find a barrel. Any suggestions on where I might find one?

This is not a popular or mainstream cartridge so finding a Savage barrel is going to be the proverbial needle in a haystack.

If you can find a .375 barrel in the contour and twist rate you want, I'd buy it and send it off to a gunsmith who has that reamer and the time to get your project in the flow. GA Precision has the reamer as I'm sure do many others who are dependable. Buying one off-the-shelf will prove to be a lengthy search process.

Regards.

I'm going to use a mega maten lower for the ar-10 build. Pac-Nor can do whatever contour you want.
How is this w working out I've been considering the very same thing. I had also thought about maybe a 375 B&M but not so sure that the length will work in an AR10 platform

You guys speaking of using Pac-Nor barrels should be aware that their shop burned down a few months ago. I believe they are still rebuilding. As far as I know they are not open for selling barrels. They have the announcement on their website http://pac-nor.com

Other than chamber you need the same spec as a 375H&H. 1-12 twist.

Have you considered a profiled barrel that a smith can chamber. You could use a shouldered barrel and lose the barrel nut so it would not need to be turned down.. Frankly on the .550 dia magnum I would welcome the extra steel around the chamber.

I am waiting on a barrel order that's planned for a 375 Sherman Max pack gun 22" barrel. Nice and handy and plenty power out to 600yd. 260 AB or 248 HH @ 500yd they hold 2k fps / 2k ftlb which is good for anything in NA For longer range the T3 action and Sherman (RSAUM based)case allows even the super long 300gr CEB MTH @1.8" to fit and should retain 1500fps@1k. Lighter weight 235 Speers HC for deer.

Unless your sold on the 375 and using wsm cases the 338SS has a good amount of perf data and much better bc bullet choices for longer range and easier to find a savage style barrel profile. Fits in a true short action mag.

Did you ever build a .375 WSM on an AR-10?
Thanks
You guys speaking of using Pac-Nor barrels should be aware that their shop burned down a few months ago. I believe they are still rebuilding. As far as I know they are not open for selling barrels. They have the announcement on their website http://pac-nor.com

Other than chamber you need the same spec as a 375H&H. 1-12 twist.

Have you considered a profiled barrel that a smith can chamber. You could use a shouldered barrel and lose the barrel nut so it would not need to be turned down.. Frankly on the .550 dia magnum I would welcome the extra steel around the chamber.

I am waiting on a barrel order that's planned for a 375 Sherman Max pack gun 22" barrel. Nice and handy and plenty power out to 600yd. 260 AB or 248 HH @ 500yd they hold 2k fps / 2k ftlb which is good for anything in NA For longer range the T3 action and Sherman (RSAUM based)case allows even the super long 300gr CEB MTH @1.8" to fit and should retain 1500fps@1k. Lighter weight 235 Speers HC for deer.

Unless your sold on the 375 and using wsm cases the 338SS has a good amount of perf data and much better bc bullet choices for longer range and easier to find a savage style barrel profile. Fits in a true short action mag.
No, I haven't finished it yet. Yes, I know about PacNor but have been talking to them and they hope to be back open very soon. Now I don't know how long soon is going to be. I already have plenty of 300 wsm brass and nickel brass that I plan on using along with the dies, so no need to change now. The 260AB's on hand, not sure which HH's I plan to use. Have different load data for a 20" barrel even though I plan on going to a 22"-24" barrel. T_w, I do appreciate the information.

I've wanted to build a 458 WSM/Saum and run it in an AR-10. What work has been done to the receiver? Is it milled out like what's done to run 458 socoms for ar-15? Also the bolt can't seem to find the larger bolt face for them.

No, I haven't finished it yet. Yes, I know about PacNor but have been talking to them and they hope to be back open very soon. Now I don't know how long soon is going to be. I already have plenty of 300 wsm brass and nickel brass that I plan on using along with the dies, so no need to change now. The 260AB's on hand, not sure which HH's I plan to use. Have different load data for a 20" barrel even though I plan on going to a 22"-24" barrel. T_w, I do appreciate the information.

Very good. That takes care of which case for you. Good to hear about pac nor. Itvwould be great if they were spin uo barrels by early summer / late spring

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.