375 ultra mag

Mine gets 2900 with the 350smk at 4.2" and groups are under .5" centers. H1000 seems to work best for me. Bertram brass. Ran it a bit over 2950 with r33 filled right up at 118gr. Had to tamp it down to get bullets seated, and groups opened up probably due to stressing the necks. Retumbo worked well, but lost es when i got into compression at 108. I like 7828 with 270gr speers and those things are unreal terminal performance. Lightning strike. Loosened the hide from the carcass in a 12" radius from the hit with a 2" wound channel and exit. Entirely jelled the doe's chest cavity.

It was a bit challenging to shoot more than a group a day unbraked. I could do it fine, but I didn't enjoy it. Chucked it up and threaded it for a 5 port cheapie, then turned it down some to match the profile better. Looks great I think, and man it is fun to shoot now. Filled the factory stock In with fiberglass and a bit of lead shot and devcon bedding for a bench stock, and my daughter can shoot it. My 110V stock I got at numrich, filled and oil finished. Absolutely love the rifle.
I also built a 475rum barrel for it when I built a customer's 475rum for his alaska trip. Massive power. and a 300rum barrel too but I dont shoot it much. The 375 is pretty much the only rifle I reach for unless I'm woodchuck hunting. Extremely underappreciated cartridge. If a guy wants a 9-10lb hunting rifle that can be built for regular-guy budget and can go anywhere on earth and take every critter that you can get a tag for, including the ones with teeth and horn, plus have a full mile of reach with just a 20moa base and 40moa in the scope... I dont think theres a better choice. If I had to pick one gun, this would be it. 7000ft-lb of power in a rifle the same size as every other deer gun in the woods. Pretty cool.
20211127_163355.jpg

20211202_161536.jpg
20190722_205359.jpg
20200312_165640.jpg
20200328_232948.jpg
20200308_163131.jpg
20200308_163314.jpg

Last edited:
Chase723, what bullet seating die are you using with the 365 Badlands?
Thanks
I'm using the Hornady seating die. I had to drill the seating stem to accommodate the long tip of the SB2. It works fine. It leaves a small ring that I don't really think affects anything but I'm considering polishing the stem to eliminate/reduce it.

I was going to turn my 300 RUM into a 338 edge and build a 37xc but I think I might go this 375 RUM route and save a ton of cash. I wonder if there would be anything to be gained by giving it a 37 or 40* shoulder.
Search for "box monkey express"

It's not much, but if u don't mind the extra steps, and throat it long enough to keep the bullets out of the case, it would get you the extra bit of capacity to use retumbo and slower powders without so much compression. The standard case is just a hair small to handle them well, especially without the long seat depth.

If I was going to improve the chamber, I'd go all out and basically straight wall it with the 40° shoulder pushed right out to leave a .200' neck and cut the leade to seat smk's at the top of the shoulder, maybe even jump them .100 or so. Thatd get you over 3000fps with 350smk in a packable rifle

It's not much, but if u don't mind the extra steps, and throat it long enough to keep the bullets out of the case, it would get you the extra bit of capacity to use retumbo and slower powders without so much compression. The standard case is just a hair small to handle them well, especially without the long seat depth.

If I was going to improve the chamber, I'd go all out and basically straight wall it with the 40° shoulder pushed right out to leave a .200' neck and cut the leade to seat smk's at the top of the shoulder, maybe even jump them .100 or so. Thatd get you over 3000fps with 350smk in a packable rifle
I would for sure throat it way out there. The RUM case is already .010" tpi so I don't think I'd go any less than that. Shortening the neck that much is gonna force you to either build a false shoulder or jam the lands hard for fire forming. I don't think you'd see the gains for all that work. Neck will shorten a bit just by blowing out the shoulder. I think I'd just be happy with that.

I didn't have to throat it any extra. This is the reamer my smith used.

He said it seamed like it was made for that bullet loaded at that length. Haha. I think I just got lucky.

It was chambered by Michael Deloach of Nine Run Gun. He's an excellent gunsmith and a great guy.

I might even get a little more out of it. I'm using Norma brass and once fired cases definitely have a little more capacity than new brass…which is expected.

I would for sure throat it way out there. The RUM case is already .010" tpi so I don't think I'd go any less than that. Shortening the neck that much is gonna force you to either build a false shoulder or jam the lands hard for fire forming. I don't think you'd see the gains for all that work. Neck will shorten a bit just by blowing out the shoulder. I think I'd just be happy with that.
That's what I did and I'm happy with it. I guess I meant if you were gonna do anything more than throat, you'll about have to go crazy for it to be worth it, which is cool too. 375 ultragibbs! :D
i dont think just an ai case will be enough improvement to reach that next bar, which is why I stayed sammi. I rented from reamerrentals because they had the throating reamer I liked. I cut to fit smk seated at base of neck. 4.2" and backbored rifling .250" at .370".

I still laugh every time that gets brought up! The 375 BME is a 375 RUM "improved" about as much as possible, without offering that much real improvement. LOL I think a properly throated 375 RUM will offer 95% of the performance of the BME, but without the custom dies and fire forming. If the 375 RUM loaded long isn't enough, I'd go straight to the 37xc.

I still laugh every time that gets brought up! The 375 BME is a 375 RUM "improved" about as much as possible, without offering that much real improvement. LOL I think a properly throated 375 RUM will offer 95% of the performance of the BME, but without the custom dies and fire forming. If the 375 RUM loaded long isn't enough, I'd go straight to the 37xc.
Well it's a name you remember!

That's a big step up to 37xc. Lots of changes in the build list.

Last edited:
I think a properly throated 375 RUM will offer 95% of the performance of the BME, but without the custom dies and fire forming
5% of 2800 fps is 140. People wildcat for less, I honestly think I'd do it.
Well it's a name you remember!

That's a big step up to 37xc. Lots of changes in the build list.
This whole thread has given me so many Ideas and I think its leading me to a 375 RUM and a 41XC