.375 Ultra Mag ammo

orkan

I'm a bit outside my depth with this critter. Customer dropped off a christensen arms .375 ultramag and he want's me to work up loads, find factory ammo, and get him some ballistics numbers.

That wouldn't be a problem... except...

He is going to go shoot an elephant with it.

I've never hunted elephant. Never shot one. So, can anyone give some advice here on bullet selection for some reloads as well as some factory ammo options? Preferably someone that knows what it takes to kill an elephant.

I'd go with the heaviest solid copper or bronze bullet I could find with a solid point.

In fact you might just do a google for ".375 cheytac bullet".

There are some custom bullet makers making hand turned solids for it that perform phenomenally well.

I can't remember who the two mfg's are though.

Penetrating power is absolutely critical with elephant and cape buffalo.

Thanks for the tip... I'm very familiar with 375CT stuff. I was leaning toward that ultra-penetration side of things as well, but I have no experience at all with elephants.

Thanks for the tip... I'm very familiar with 375CT stuff. I was leaning toward that ultra-penetration side of things as well, but I have no experience at all with elephants.
Here is a cutaway of an elephant skull.

schadel2a.jpg

If I remember correctly you have to penetrate 12-20" of bone to get to the brain from any angle except from above and behind unless you place the shot precisely where it's going through the sinus and that's covered with a massive amount of muscle.

No elephants for me either, but I've crushed a lot of rock with a .375. If it was me I'd load the Barnes 350 grain, Banded solid, preferably the flat nose. Provided the rifle doesn't have an odd twist that won't stabilize.

read a article in Rifle shooter the whole magazine was on the 7mm craze and they were talking about the 7x57 .280 7mag 7-08 all kinds of .284 cal that was used n Africa any way they mentioned something to the effect of shooing them behind the Ear. Not much help I am sure

Barnes Banded Solid or Cutting Edge Dangerous Game Bullets would be my first two choices. Granted I have never shot an elephant but I have seen friends bring them home from the bars.

I hadn't been aware of the Cutting Edge solids thats a good looking bullet. Not to slight the 300 grains as insufficient, but y preference would be 350 grains if I could get them.

I love my rum and the 300 grain solids will do it. I would try north fork solids or gs customs if you can get them. You will be happy . Mrbriflevshoots 300 grain north forks and the solids very close good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.