375?'s

My currant load pushes the 350 smk at 3005 fps. I havnt tryed the gs bullets yet, they seem to be hard to get. I have loaded the Hornady 300 spbt at 3200 fps and the 260 accubond at 3380 fps. I did talk to a man at Jamison International that said he has used their 375-350 Grain CheyTac Solid Projectiles on elk and had good success, something about the tip bending into a u upon impact with a bc of around 1.05.

I was wondering about those bullets and how they would work hunting. So with that high of a bc what twist of barrel would i need? Ever since i read about your tejas i want one. If you were to do again would you change anything?

Darrin

Darrin I get about 3000fps inthe Snipetac with 134gr and 3400 inthe 375AM. Tried them at about 2200yds but the wind was too strong to make any insightful comments.

Bruce the Cabellas aluminum cases work very well for them.

Darrin, I've got a 375 RUM as well and have the 350gr smks. Have not loaded with em' yet and there is a lack of info for this loading. Most of these guys use improved versions/weatherby or cheytac wildcats to get 2800fps +.

I would like to start slow and work up but I have literally no time and no chornograph to tell what speeds im running. I would love to post some results soon but no chorno yet. Im not gonna develop a load for this until I buy a chonograph.

I think with a 350gr smk Retumbo or H1000 would be best to move the heavy bullet. Out of a 26" pipe 2550 to 2600fps might possibly be max velocity. I DON'T KNOW,haven't tried or confirmed by anyones posts anywhere! a 30" tube might get 100fps more. By no means this is NOT an extreme long range shooter...but it will be a long range shooter.

IMHO the only advantage over a 338rum/Edge or Lapua chambered round is that the 375 RUM has 50grs more weight and a smidge larger.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.