375 RUM guys

Well 103.5 gr or rl22 produced 3158fps. I do have slight pressure signs but nothing that indicates I'm obviously at the very top. I haven't measured primer pockets yet but inthink isy have a little room to go but not a lot. I'm just going to play with it and see where it tops out and where I lose brass life. But looks like I'm very near the end of my joy ride.

Well 103.5 gr or rl22 produced 3158fps. I do have slight pressure signs but nothing that indicates I'm obviously at the very top. I haven't measured primer pockets yet but inthink isy have a little room to go but not a lot. I'm just going to play with it and see where it tops out and where I lose brass life. But looks like I'm very near the end of my joy ride.

When it's all said and done, if you find yourself wanting more, it looks like the 250 TTSX and 7828 SSC will take you comfortably above 3200 with a substantially higher bc (.424 vs .326). Basic calculations on JBM ballistics say doing that would increase your effective range by about 200 yards or so, with a substantial reduction in wind drift. If you accept the 1500 ft/lbs rule for elk, the TTSX will take you past 900 yards @ 5000ft ASL, not going transonic until past 1100 yards.

Food for thought, anyway.

Why not use the 375 RUM to its full potential and run the 320 gr Cutting Edge MTH bullets with an awesome BC of .830 !

Send them at a comfortable 2800 fps, Makes a nice advantage in trajectory and retained energy

This table was computed for my 375 PRO (similar ballistics to 375 RUM) at 67 degrees F, 434 ft altitude and 10 mph 90 degree wind angle

Yards...Velocity FPS...Energy FT. LBS.....Elev. MOA......Windage MOA

1760........1282..........1167...............61.92...............8.97......(1 mile)

The point of the thread was to assist the OP in getting the most out of HIS chosen combination, which is why I stayed with a similar bullet when recommending an alternative.

I have done some work with the CE's myself, but I am not going to hijack someone else's thread to discuss them.

I plan to keep using the 270 TSX. just wondering if any of my fellow 375 rum groupies have been seeing cool results with any new bullets or powders?

Benchracer.....

It appears the OP was asking for results with bullets other than the 270 TSX..... My response was to Mike and His 375 RUM which is ballistically equivalent to my cartridge with similar length barrel.....

This is after all...Long Range Hunting.com and my data applies to the original request....

I was not responding to YOUR 375 H&H...... which was never mentioned by Mike to begin with......................

Benchracer.....

It appears the OP was asking for results with bullets other than the 270 TSX..... My response was to Mike and His 375 RUM which is ballistically equivalent to my cartridge with similar length barrel.....

This is after all...Long Range Hunting.com and my data applies to the original request....

I was not responding to YOUR 375 H&H...... which was never mentioned by Mike to begin with......................

The H&H was mentioned only as a baseline for data comparison. Apparently the value of staying on topic is lost on you ADD types with diarrhea of the keyboard.

Sorry if the facts got you butt hurt,

Just wondering how the 375 H&H with a stubby bbl become a baseline comparison to a 375 RUM with a 28" bbl ? ......
ADD much ?

Time to get off the bench and join the race bro....... get a real rocket and quit trying to make that old school bus fly,

Sorry if the facts got you butt hurt,

Just wondering how the 375 H&H with a stubby bbl become a baseline comparison to a 375 RUM with a 28" bbl ? ......
ADD much ?

Time to get off the bench and join the race bro....... get a real rocket and quit trying to make that old school bus fly,

Did you actually read the thread? If you did and still have that question, you need to spend less time with a tape measure and more time working on your reading comprehension skills.

Having said that, it is not my place to attempt to steer a conversation on a thread that I didn't start. For that, I am out of line and I apologize to you, Swamplord, and to Tikkamike, the OP, for cluttering the conversation.

If you wish to continue to spar, I would be happy to do that with you publicly in another thread, or privately.

Finally got to do a little more shooting this weekend. I took it all the way up to 106 gr of RL22. 106 had slight ejector marks, no hard bolt lift or any other pressure indicators other than that. velocity was 3196 105.5 no ejector marks and no excessive pressure signs velocity was around 3190 if I remember right. 105 was no excessive pressure signs and velocity was 3148. I decided to load up a few at 105 and monitor primer pockets for a few reloadings and shoot some groups. The groups were great. .226 5 shot group at 100 yards. I only shot one group but its obvious the accuracy is there. so I will keep doing it and see how much brass life I get out of the same 5 pieces. I sized and reprimed them last night and they still felt good. if I can get about 5 or more reloads out of them I will be happy.
As of now I feel like I have found a load I am happy with. Once I get some more shooting done I will see how it shoots at 2 and 300 yards on paper.

Finally got to do a little more shooting this weekend. I took it all the way up to 106 gr of RL22. 106 had slight ejector marks, no hard bolt lift or any other pressure indicators other than that. velocity was 3196 105.5 no ejector marks and no excessive pressure signs velocity was around 3190 if I remember right. 105 was no excessive pressure signs and velocity was 3148. I decided to load up a few at 105 and monitor primer pockets for a few reloadings and shoot some groups. The groups were great. .226 5 shot group at 100 yards. I only shot one group but its obvious the accuracy is there. so I will keep doing it and see how much brass life I get out of the same 5 pieces. I sized and reprimed them last night and they still felt good. if I can get about 5 or more reloads out of them I will be happy.
As of now I feel like I have found a load I am happy with. Once I get some more shooting done I will see how it shoots at 2 and 300 yards on paper.

Excellent! That is IMPRESSIVE accuracy. I look forward to seeing what it does as the range increases. It is always interesting to see what is possible with the .375's. Thanks, again, for sharing your results!

Thanks a ton for your help too. Very interesting to see how the computer prediction stacked up against real world results. I even learned a thing or 2.. Maybe the most useful was the drop tube. Trying something new got me somewhere I wouldnt have gotten otherwise. I will compress powder with the bullet a little but I dont really like it. the drop tube got me a lot more powder in the case and no crunching powder.

Sweet success Mike. Great results. As you know I have a fresh 375 rum out of the shop looking for some work. I'm taking a different angle . I'm working up 2 loads. First, the 260 accubond. Second, the 320 grain ce bullet. Here is were I need your guys' help. What powder do I use for the 320? Thought of everything, but haven't decided on anything. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks a ton for your help too. Very interesting to see how the computer prediction stacked up against real world results. I even learned a thing or 2.. Maybe the most useful was the drop tube. Trying something new got me somewhere I wouldnt have gotten otherwise. I will compress powder with the bullet a little but I dont really like it. the drop tube got me a lot more powder in the case and no crunching powder.

I am pleased to be of assistance! It was an excellent learning opportunity for me, as well. I agree with you about the utility of a drop tube. Like you, I am not comfortable crunching powder and using a drop tube gives me some peace of mind.

Last edited:
Sweet success Mike. Great results. As you know I have a fresh 375 rum out of the shop looking for some work. I'm taking a different angle . I'm working up 2 loads. First, the 260 accubond. Second, the 320 grain ce bullet. Here is were I need your guys' help. What powder do I use for the 320? Thought of everything, but haven't decided on anything. Your help is appreciated.

I haven't worked with the 320 CE yet, but it is on my to do list. I HAVE worked with the 300 CE, so I have some idea how the CE bullets behave. QL doesn't have bullet files for the CE's, so I have to fudge a bit to come up with anything. When I started working with the 300 CE, I did parallel development with a 300 grain cup and core bullet for comparison. I found the CE bullet to give about 50 fps more with the same powder charge vs a same weight cup and core bullet, which was consistent with reports from others shooting the CE bullets.

I modified the data for a 300 grain cup and core bullet to come up with the following powder recommendations:

375RUM320CEPDR.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts