375 RUM guide rifle

RH300UM

Here it guys. My Alaska guide rifle is done. Thanks Travis. RBros Rifles!
I've been testing it out for a while now.
Settled on a load. 281 grain hammer hunters over RL16 gives 2950 fps from a 22 inch barrel.
I took a trip to southeast Alaska for a shakedown trip. I didn't fill my tag but 3 guys I was helping did.
I've been very surprised and impressed with this rig/ load combo.
Banged steel/targets to 1k with it.

Attachments

• A61E1DC0-1E40-4DF2-8AE7-FFDDB888CDCE.jpeg
    A61E1DC0-1E40-4DF2-8AE7-FFDDB888CDCE.jpeg
    726.6 KB · Views: 514
  • AA15524C-2FD1-4BA5-AB7C-02AEC4727F39.jpeg
    AA15524C-2FD1-4BA5-AB7C-02AEC4727F39.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 430
  • 7E52A242-7DCC-4CBD-A562-4C3FE303C03F.jpeg
    7E52A242-7DCC-4CBD-A562-4C3FE303C03F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 507
Last edited:
I like it! What are the specs on the rifle? Can you give a terminal performance report on those big hammers?

I like it! What are the specs on the rifle? Can you give a terminal performance report on those big hammers?
Specs are RBros Rifles build.
RBros Rogue controlled round center feed action
Proof research 22 inch 12 twist barrel
Manners MCS elite stock
Trigger tech trigger
Area 419 sidewinder brake
PTG bottom metal
RBros rings with bubble level
Nightforce 3.5x15 NXS
Nothing killed with it yet
I hope to let a hunter kill a wolf with it this September
Man does it shoot!!!

Last edited:
I gotcha, I mistook the part where you helped others fill their tag as they may have used your rifle.
What's it weigh without the Nightforce on it? If you do not know, what's it weigh with and I can subtract the scope's weight.:D

Here it guys. My Alaska guide rifle is done.
I've been testing it out for a while now.
Settled on a load. 281 grain hammer hunters over RL16 gives 2950 fps from a 22 inch barrel.
I took a trip to southeast Alaska for a shakedown trip. I didn't fill my tag but 3 guys I was helping did.
I've been very surprised and impressed with this rig/ load combo.
Banged steel/targets to 1k with it.

Sounds like a "sweet" package, great caliber and not "too" heavy! "Dish" the brake, to drop it under 10# and have a shorter overall! Then.... it would be a "REALLY SWEET" rifle! memtb

Man I wonder how bad the recoil would be minus the break. 280+ gr bullet @ almosy 3k? Bet she smarts. I've been wanting to build a 375 cal for a while, just trying to figure out which one!

Man I wonder how bad the recoil would be minus the break. 280+ gr bullet @ almosy 3k? Bet she smarts. I've been wanting to build a 375 cal for a while, just trying to figure out which one!
I would say as much as my 375 Weatherby with 300gr Woodleighs at 2850fps out of a 24" barrel. My rifle weighs just under 10lbs with sling and scope. My rifle is NOT braked
My calculations say it has close to 90lbs/ft of recoil.
It is no where near the recoil of my 505 Gibbs, 600gr pill at 2300fps generates 130+lbs/ft.

Cheers.
:eek:

I would say as much as my 375 Weatherby with 300gr Woodleighs at 2850fps out of a 24" barrel. My rifle weighs just under 10lbs with sling and scope. My rifle is NOT braked.

Cheers.
:eek:
I've owned a 6.5# 300 rum, and a 6.5# 338wm. The RUM topped with optics and ammo was 8#. No brake, it was the most abusive thing I've ever fired.

The 375 RUM is my go to hammer for the big stuff--I've packed mine over hells half acre shot mostly swift AFrames out of mine. Mine eats H4831 it seams by the pound but kicks 300 grain bullets out at 2630fps with boring regularity. Bill wiseman out of College Station built mine--most anyone that has hunted with me commented on its looks--but after they shot it or watched it work--didn't make fun of it any more. Love the 375 RUM...I'll post some pics of its escapades--it's the ol green hammer! Congrats on your build--hope it serves you well for years to come.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 275
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 259
How well does the Sindwinder brake work? I've been shopping around for a brake for a 338 RUM and the Area 419 seems like a nice option.

Brake will be removed when I'm working in the field guiding. POI shift surprisingly only shifts 1 inch vertical

Good call! I tried (twice....not very smart) to shoot my .375 AI, with brake on in the field. Brake removed....haven't seen it in over 20 years! My AI weighs 9 lb. 1 oz., scoped, loaded, slung, and kicks a bit....but certainly not intolerable. I'm pushing 250 TTSX's at 3130 fps.

I'm a big Barnes fan (since early '90's), and begged Barnes, for years, to bring out something heavier than the 250 in a TTSX. They waited until I gave up, developed a load, got my Leupold CDC set-up......then they bring out the 270 LRX! Had they gone up to somewhere around 290 grains or a little heavier ( which I had begged for), I could justify changing bullets and getting new turrets built......but "not" for 20 grains.

By the way.....real nice group! Mine shot better with the 270 TSX, but their BC was roughly equivalent to that of a "brick".... so I sacrificed a little accuracy! memtb

memtb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.