375 RUM Build

Reviving an old thread. I read all the pages. I got most calibers covered. I don't shoot anywhere as far as you guys. My questions are:
-Build one for elk out to 700 yds?
-How's the recoil on a 10-12 lb rifle braked?
-I was thinking of trying a lighter option from hammer in the 250-270 gr range.
-Would I be better served with a 338 Rum?
-is a 23-24" barrel to short?
Have a new tenacity LA, a McMillan A3 adjustable. Maybe a Sendero profile and 5 port brake. It won't get shot much. Biggest concern is recoil. I have a bad back and recoil can be painful.

The RUM likes H1000 and a 26" barrel minimum is right (takes time to burn all that powder, favorite now is US 869: cheap and available). Set the velocity with your favorite bullet to give you kill energy at 700yds. Good shoulder pad in your jacket and you can skip the 2" muzzle brake. Do all the exercises and wear support for the back. I don't know about back problems, mine is old and on the stiff side but no pain: if it is a good kill shot, you won't remember the pain.

From the little research I did I thought H1000 didn't get the best velocities. I'd put a good brake on it no matter what. My 6 dasher even has a brake.

Reviving an old thread. I read all the pages. I got most calibers covered. I don't shoot anywhere as far as you guys. My questions are:
-Build one for elk out to 700 yds? Will work fine for that
-How's the recoil on a 10-12 lb rifle braked? Not bad at all with a good brake; 243 to .308 range
-I was thinking of trying a lighter option from hammer in the 250-270 gr range. Will work great
-Would I be better served with a 338 Rum? 6 of 1, half dozen of the other- unless you plan on dangerous game.
-is a 23-24" barrel to short? No
Have a new tenacity LA, a McMillan A3 adjustable. Maybe a Sendero profile and 5 port brake. It won't get shot much. Biggest concern is recoil. I have a bad back and recoil can be painful.

I don't remember what I have written in this thread and I'm too lazy to go back and look. But I shoot a 270tsx in mine and my furthest elk kill is 910 with it. Crushed her on the spot. My closest elk kill with it is 48 yards. I have a box of 270lrx I'd like to try if I ever get my hands on more of them. 250-270gr will Annihilate anything you shoot with it. Will a 338 rum do it all just as good… yea kinda.. anyone who has hunted with a 375 knows what I'm talking about when I say the 375 kills different. It's like you take their soul too with a 375. I give elk hunting with a 375 10 out of 10!😀

-Build one for elk out to 700 yds?
-How's the recoil on a 10-12 lb rifle braked?
-I was thinking of trying a lighter option from hammer in the 250-270 gr range.
-Would I be better served with a 338 Rum?
-is a 23-24" barrel to short?
You can do any or all of that but if recoil is a factor just stick to something between the .300wm, .300PRC and .300 RUM and you'll be much happier in the end.

With good data and some practice though my .375Ruger I think would be up to that challenge pretty well without all the punishment of the Rum Case/load size.

Even the Ruger will get your attention but the .375 Rum and similar huge case .375's are going to be rather unpleasant for anyone the least bit recoil sensitive.

Just for fun I'm going to do a straight necking down of the .375Ruger case to .338 sometime this year or next which would also be worth of consideration.

The .325wsm is a round I would also put in amongst the rest for your application.

For all practical purposes the 300's though are all you need and won't beat you plum to death.

From the little research I did I thought H1000 didn't get the best velocities. I'd put a good brake on it no matter what. My 6 dasher even has a brake.
H1000 is rarely the fastest among the big case powders but unbelievably consistent and easy to tune loads with similar to the old H870.

It works for me in all my magnums so it must be pretty well idiot proof. :D😆😀 RL33 is my other favorite.

Yup… think of a quarterback getting blind sided by a line man…leveled!
That's how the 375 RUM hits
The animals or the hunter lol? I shot a 300 RUM with 215's for years. Actually shot out the barrel. Now I use a full custom 300 Win mag with 215's for elk. I do have H1000 and a brand new 8lb jug of R33. The 300 RUM wasn't bad to shoot. But I do wonder what a 260-270 gr bullet knocking on 3000 FPS would be like. Maybe with a good brake it wouldn't be to bad.