375 RUM Build

My son was 15 when he was presented his rifle. Shot it a hour after he got it and hasn't put it down since. I also Improved a 340 Weatherby for my daughter in her 14th birthday. She is a wizard with her's. She has pulled the trigger 3 times on 3 trips and killed trophy animals each time.

Last edited:
Here are the posts on the 375 Zayne

Thanks. He has shot from 396 grain down to 265. We settled on the 279 Hammer Dead Blow. He is running it around 3300 fps.

In the standard box I am getting 2900 with a 300 grain. Few bullets like that speed with a big hard animal. I knew Lee Ried when he owned swift bullets before Bill Hober shoved him out the door. He showed me 300gr a frames that had been shot out of a 378. The base mashed forward so it looked like a frisbee. I told him to put hard lead in the base but he never did. So my rifle as it is will work just fine for me. I put a 1/4 inch stainless coarse thread bolt just behind the recoil lug and glassed the box in solid and it is beautiful and balanced and works just fine as it is. If I take it for black and ugly I will use a 300 trophy bonded or a 300 north fork.

The Peregrines and LRX's are made to order for a hard hitter like this.

For dangerous game the new Hornady DGX Bonded would definitely be worth a look as well.

The Peregrines and LRX's are made to order for a hard hitter like this.

For dangerous game the new Hornady DGX Bonded would definitely be worth a look as well.
Thanks for your input. The reason I like the trophy bonded or the north fork is the solid shank. I have no experience with the peregrines but they are made in S Africa. I may be wrong but the Hornady makes me a bit nervous when shoved fast. I saw a 400 416 from a cape they shot with a 416 rigby.Nice at 2400.From a weatherby at 2700?Maybe not so good. I have seen recovered north forks and all have been perfect. Terry Weiland did testing and he rated the North Fork best of all. In his testing the barnes and trophy bonded if smacked into something hard they lost wings and veered from a straight line. After federal bought the trophy bonded line from Jack Carter they changed to gilding metal. Too hard and brittle. The woodleighs were excellent also. At H&H or in the big bores that run 2200 and under velocity. A friend of mine has a 458 watts. He tested the hornady regular softs. At 2150 they were beautiful. At 2400 they blew. So velocity can do bad things to bullets. So to get back to shooting big and ugly,s close I would use a north fork I am thinking.

Last edited:
I have shot Cutting Edge, Barnes, Chinchaga's, and Sierra. All have shot well. A couple years back, the Barnes 270 TSX was the choice bullet for many of us shooting the 375 rum. It was accurate, fast, and literally turned the rifle into a death ray. Cutting edge are tough because of your limited seating depths. The 350 SMK seemed to be as deadly as the Barnes, just slower. I hit a elk in the skull at 350 yards and split his skull from end to end. The SMK's have a bad rap as a hunting bullet however it has always done well for me. Chinchaga's are good, but last on my list.
I know that Steve at Hammer has several 375 offerings that will be very accommodating to any 375 rum setup. After I put mine back together, I plan on shooting the 279, 281, 329 Hammers out of mine.

Last edited:
Midway has factory second 350smk's on clearance at the moment. And free shipping today. I ordered some and I hope to get 2800fps. 25", 1:12". I figured retumbo would be too slow, but I see a few of you using it with success? Mine has .400 throat for 4.15 coal with 350smk. Do any of you use quickload? Is retumbo actually up the list? I have Bertram brass. 118-119gr h20 in my formed brass. I planned on using mrp, r22, maybe r25, and magpro. Figured magpro would be my best bet, but I have lots of retumbo.

Here's mine. Flatback 112 rum action, 3.8" Magwell. 25" McGowan i cut to safari express taper. 110V stock. good old 6-18x40 buckmasters in Burris signature rings with -33moa inserts puts me 2" high at 100 with the elevation bottomed out. Complete gun weighs 10lb 2oz and balances at the forward action screw.

20200308_163131.jpg

Last edited: