375 rum 350 smk

chrisb97

I'm building a 375 ultra with the intention on focusing on the 350 matchking. I was looking into h1000 for powder but read that it is too slow. I would like to stick with a hodgdon extreme but I'm not sure on which one to go with. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

desired barrel length and desired speed/end use will play heavily into your selection...

I'm building a 375 ultra with the intention on focusing on the 350 matchking. I was looking into h1000 for powder but read that it is too slow. I would like to stick with a hodgdon extreme but I'm not sure on which one to go with. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I would recommend H 4831 SC. It is a very forgiving powder and the SC (Short Cut) measures well. The other choice would be N 570.

J E CUSTOM

I would recommend H 4831 SC. It is a very forgiving powder and the SC (Short Cut) measures well. The other choice would be N 570.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks I'll try the h4831sc. Does anyone know what sort of velocity this cartridge is capable of with the 350? I was hoping for 2750 or so with a 28" benchmark barrel

Thanks I'll try the h4831sc. Does anyone know what sort of velocity this cartridge is capable of with the 350? I was hoping for 2750 or so with a 28" benchmark barrel

Most listed data is for a 300 grain bullet at 2750 with a 24" barrel.

With the longer barrel you should be able to get 2700 ft/sec with a 350 grain bullet. You will just have to work up to pressure signs.

There are also some 325 grain bullets that might be a compromise to get the velocity you want.

J E CUSTOM

Most listed data is for a 300 grain bullet at 2750 with a 24" barrel.

With the longer barrel you should be able to get 2700 ft/sec with a 350 grain bullet. You will just have to work up to pressure signs.

There are also some 325 grain bullets that might be a compromise to get the velocity you want.

J E CUSTOM
I was looking at some of the cutting edge bullets but I can't see spending almost 2 dollars per projectile with the volume of shooting I'll be doing. Do you know of any high bc bullets in the 300-325 grain range for a little more manageable price?

I was looking at some of the cutting edge bullets but I can't see spending almost 2 dollars per projectile with the volume of shooting I'll be doing. Do you know of any high bc bullets in the 300-325 grain range for a little more manageable price?

There are several high BC bullets available for the 375 But most are target bullets and there track record on game has mixed reviews.

I know that there are good Hunting bullets, but they don't have the BCs that the target bullets have. Unless you are going to hunt farther than 1200 + yards, the BCs don't add that much and with big fast bullets,
wind is not that much of a deal, dependable expansion is.

I tried to use the Match kings and also had mixed results even after trimming the Meplat to assist expansion.

I would recommend a true hunting bullet with a good history.

J E CUSTOM

There are several high BC bullets available for the 375 But most are target bullets and there track record on game has mixed reviews.

I know that there are good Hunting bullets, but they don't have the BCs that the target bullets have. Unless you are going to hunt farther than 1200 + yards, the BCs don't add that much and with big fast bullets,
wind is not that much of a deal, dependable expansion is.

I tried to use the Match kings and also had mixed results even after trimming the Meplat to assist expansion.

I would recommend a true hunting bullet with a good history.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks. I might just have to fork the money up for the cutting edge bullets or try an accubond or similar type. This will be a long range target and elk rifle so reliable on game performance is worth the extra money

Depending on the OAL you use, H1000 will work well. I used H1000 in my 375 BME which is an improved 375 RUM and got an easy 2900+ FPS from a 30" barrel with the 350 SMK. My gun was a single shot though and I used an OAL of 4.100" to gain case capacity. They were still compressed loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.