.375 Ruger Velocity Show Down 20" vs 23"

Overkill338

I searched all over the internet looking for Alaskan vs African, but no one tested them side by side. So I decided to do it, to help out people in the future.

I loaded up some 300 grain TSX bullets with 69 grains of RL15.

Alaskan - 2378
African - 2442
Gained 22 fps per inch

Screenshot_20210126-151939_Chronograph.jpgScreenshot_20210126-151923_Chronograph.jpg

Paint me disappointed 😞 But I'm going to test some factory ammo, as well as load up some 300 grain Gamekings.

Last edited:
I was thinking your loss per inch down to 20" inches would be much less. I wonder what the loss per inch would be from 20" to 16" around 40fps?

I was thinking your loss per inch down to 20" inches would be much less. I wonder what the loss per inch would be from 20" to 16" around 40fps?
I obsessed about the extra 3 inches of barrel length for months, until I traded for that African. I did it for 60 fps, and thats a sick feeling.

I had an African 23" chrome moly blued and an Alaskan stainless 20". With exactly the same load using Horn brass, Win mag priemrs, 270 grain TSX the 20" is 40 fps FASTER. It stays faster all the way to max load and max load for the 20" is almost a full grain heavier.. Other things besides barrel length can have a noticeable effect. Brass from the 20" will chamber in hte 23, not the other way round though so the 20" has a slightly tighter chamber. It also has a touch less freebore. They would both clover leaf three at 100 regularly. Sold the 23, kept the 20.

I had an African 23" chrome moly blued and an Alaskan stainless 20". With exactly the same load using Horn brass, Win mag priemrs, 270 grain TSX the 20" is 40 fps FASTER. It stays faster all the way to max load and max load for the 20" is almost a full grain heavier.. Other things besides barrel length can have a noticeable effect. Brass from the 20" will chamber in hte 23, not the other way round though so the 20" has a slightly tighter chamber. It also has a touch less freebore. They would both clover leaf three at 100 regularly. Sold the 23, kept the 20.
I've had a couple people tell me that the powder I'm using just happens to be perfect for the 20". So I'm looking for some RL17 or 16 to try that as well. Over at the Africahunting forum, a guy gave me some 300 grain roundnose bullets to test as well.

I plan on attacking this from every angle. I will be using RL19 with Hornady data for a 300gr. That should significantly separate the two.

I've had a couple people tell me that the powder I'm using just happens to be perfect for the 20". So I'm looking for some RL17 or 16 to try that as well. Over at the Africahunting forum, a guy gave me some 300 grain roundnose bullets to test as well.

I plan on attacking this from every angle. I will be using RL19 with Hornady data for a 300gr. That should significantly separate the two.
I use 4831 and 4350 because it is easy to come by. RL powders are very spotty for supply in my area so I never bother trying it. Be interested to hear what you learn from your RL experiments.

Anyone have muzzle velocities for the 20" Alaskans and Hornady factory 300 grain DGX......or any other factory loads out of the Alaskan? Haven't got to the range yet with my new purchase and I'm debating scopes and reticles. Velocity and trajectories will certainly help me decide.

Anyone have muzzle velocities for the 20" Alaskans and Hornady factory 300 grain DGX......or any other factory loads out of the Alaskan? Haven't got to the range yet with my new purchase and I'm debating scopes and reticles. Velocity and trajectories will certainly help me decide.
Factory velocities are from 24" barrels. Deduct 22 fps per inch for shorter barrels.

Curious to know what your results were like with the RL powders. Getting 1/2" 3 shot groups at 2650 with 4831 and 270 TSX was easy, and I was still 4 grains off max published loads.

Last edited: