375 Ruger on Remington action

dakotakidd

Has anyone had experience with a 375 Ruger mag built on a Remington 700 action? I am working on getting my guide license in Alaska and am wanting a new bear gun. I know most people will suggest a Ruger m77 but I can't do it, I'm not a Ruger guy. I want to do a Remington long action with a 20-22" mag contour barrel. Let me know if it can be done without feeding issues, or if anyone knows of another good caliber for bear(mostly follow up shots and defense)
Thanks!

A Remington factory RUM action will feed and function perfectly without any modification. Although, I would have a M16 or mini M16 extractor installed for more positive extraction.

Well I think I found the answer to my question. Same bolt face and length. Only difference is slightly wider feed ramps.
Do you think I would need the windowed mag box and ultra mag follower or just use the standard mag box and follower from a 300wm?

Well I think I found the answer to my question. Same bolt face and length. Only difference is slightly wider feed ramps.
Do you think I would need the windowed mag box and ultra mag follower or just use the standard mag box and follower from a 300wm?

You'll need the windowed mag box for the Ruger case. The follower from the Win mag will work fine, but I would opt for the milled SS magnum follower.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...bdl-long-action-magnum-milled-stainless-steel

Last edited:
The 375 Ruger case feeds perfectly from a standard magnum mag box. Any 300 Win Mag or 7 Rem Mag would work as a donor with no modifications.

Is the ultra mag box longer than a standard mag box? Will the stock need a little work?

The longer mag box won't offer much improvement. My 375 Ruger is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan which uses the relatively short 3.400" mag box that Ruger uses on their guns. Every 375 bullet I've shot in there is a perfect fit when seated to the cannelure on the bullet. Since you'll likely want to crimp the bullets anyways I'm not sure that you'd really benefit from a longer mag box.

I've run the 375 Ruger case in various other forms (338, 300 and 270) out of a couple different actions and it's been nothing more than a barrel swap when starting with a magnum donor like a 300 Win Mag or 7 Rem Mag

That would be great. My biggest concern was feeding issues. Pretty important to have it work using it as a bear rifle. Never had a bear charge but have taken quick follow up shots after poor shot placement by clients.

I've fired hundreds of rounds of 338/375 Ruger through a Savage that started as a 338 Win Mag and it fed as well as every other Savage rifle I've shot. Same for a Remington 700 in 300/375 Ruger. I've never had any feeding issues in the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan either and I've got around 800 rounds through that gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.