375 Ruger on Remington action

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by dakotakidd, Sep 4, 2018.

1. dakotakidd

dakotakidd Well-Known Member

Has anyone had experience with a 375 Ruger mag built on a Remington 700 action? I am working on getting my guide license in Alaska and am wanting a new bear gun. I know most people will suggest a Ruger m77 but I can’t do it, I’m not a Ruger guy. I want to do a Remington long action with a 20-22” mag contour barrel. Let me know if it can be done without feeding issues, or if anyone knows of another good caliber for bear(mostly follow up shots and defense)
    Thanks!

2. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

A Remington factory RUM action will feed and function perfectly without any modification. Although, I would have a M16 or mini M16 extractor installed for more positive extraction.

adam32 and phorwath like this.
  3. dakotakidd

Is a rum bolt face larger and the action a bit longer?

4. dakotakidd

Well I think I found the answer to my question. Same bolt face and length. Only difference is slightly wider feed ramps.
    Do you think I would need the windowed mag box and ultra mag follower or just use the standard mag box and follower from a 300wm?

5. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

You'll need the windowed mag box for the Ruger case. The follower from the Win mag will work fine, but I would opt for the milled SS magnum follower.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...bdl-long-action-magnum-milled-stainless-steel

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  6. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

The 375 Ruger case feeds perfectly from a standard magnum mag box. Any 300 Win Mag or 7 Rem Mag would work as a donor with no modifications.

7. dakotakidd

Is the ultra mag box longer than a standard mag box? Will the stock need a little work?

8. yorke-1

The longer mag box won't offer much improvement. My 375 Ruger is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan which uses the relatively short 3.400" mag box that Ruger uses on their guns. Every 375 bullet I've shot in there is a perfect fit when seated to the cannelure on the bullet. Since you'll likely want to crimp the bullets anyways I'm not sure that you'd really benefit from a longer mag box.

I've run the 375 Ruger case in various other forms (338, 300 and 270) out of a couple different actions and it's been nothing more than a barrel swap when starting with a magnum donor like a 300 Win Mag or 7 Rem Mag

9. dakotakidd

That would be great. My biggest concern was feeding issues. Pretty important to have it work using it as a bear rifle. Never had a bear charge but have taken quick follow up shots after poor shot placement by clients.

10. yorke-1

I've fired hundreds of rounds of 338/375 Ruger through a Savage that started as a 338 Win Mag and it fed as well as every other Savage rifle I've shot. Same for a Remington 700 in 300/375 Ruger. I've never had any feeding issues in the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan either and I've got around 800 rounds through that gun.